Solved

Upcoming Google & Yahoo Deliverability Changes: Authentication & One-Click Unsubscribe

• 18 October 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge +2

Hi all,

Google and yahoo are going to make some deliverability changes. More info here https://blogs.oracle.com/marketingcloud/post/new-gmail-yahoo-deliverability-requirements

One of these changes is that a one-click unsubscribe will be needed if you send more than 5000 emails to Gmail users per campaign.

Does anyone know if this means that we will need a one-click unsubscribe on all transactional emails or only promotional emails? If transactional emails are affected, will this mean pure transactional emails like “password-reset” will need it as well?

And will a one-click unsubscribe on the bottom of the email template suffice or is the “unsubscribe” link next to the subject line needed?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by inboxingmaestro 19 October 2023, 23:49

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Great question @pwieland!

As clearly defined by Gmail & Yahoo, the new changes are going to be applicable for bulk senders (anyone who’s sending commercial emails).

Transactional emails are important emails and non commercial in nature. It doesn’t necessarily require unsubscribe links unlike commercial emails.

To your second question, one click unsubscribe is majorly required for every ESP (you can check and verify the same in your email headers by looking List-Unsubscribe header) but it’s also recommended to have a prominent unsubscribe link in the email content as well!

Hope this clarifies the doubt. Let me know if you still have some questions.

Regards,

Mohsin

Badge +2

@inboxingmaestro thanks for the reply!

Where in my email headers can i find the List-Unsubscribe header? So even if we send more than 5K transactional emails a day we probably won’t need an unsubscribe link in them?

Thanks Mohsin

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@pwieland : You can go to ‘Show Original’ in any email in Gmail and when you open the complete header, search and find with the List-Unsubscribe keyword. You should be able to locate then.

What kind of transactional emails are you referring to? Probably, you can verify how are you defining the transactional emails and should be carefully reviewed. Any sort of promotional content hidden into transactional emails (although many senders try to play smart here) can raise flags to mailbox providers and shall be treated equivalent to commercial emails.

If you are referring to transactional emails like password reset, shipping notification, account creation, invoice, etc., you wouldn’t require unsubscribe link (although you can keep it in the content if you may like but it’s not necessary). Transactional emails are time sensitive emails and carries important information, unlike commercial/promotional emails.

Hope that clarifies the question.

Regards

Mohsin

Badge +2

@inboxingmaestro ok awesome, i will look for that.

Yes, by transactional emails I mean the time-sensitive ones you are referring to.

Do you know if the 5K sends apply to total emails sent per day or for each individual email?

Like we have some transactional emails that don’t send 5K times per day. But in total we do.

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@pwieland 5k per day is the limit that’ll apply to commercial emails. Also, make sure, you have DMARC with p=quarantine enabled and domains are aligned. Would suggest you go through the guidelines again that’s  laid down by Gmail & Yahoo just to be sure you don’t miss out on any part:

Gmail: https://blog.google/products/gmail/gmail-security-authentication-spam-protection/

Yahoo: https://blog.postmaster.yahooinc.com/post/730172167494483968/more-secure-less-spam

Regards,

Mohsin

Badge +2

@inboxingmaestro ok sounds great. thanks!

What do you think is the best way to handle the one-click unsubscribe? Currently, a lot of senders will reroute the email recipient to a landing page to let them choose what they want to unsubscribe from. Would the one-click unsubscribe have to unsubscribe them from all email “commercial” email marketing?

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

List-unsubscribe header is definitely a good practice and it’s something an ESP has to do to ensure the unsubscribe process is easier for recipients to opt out rather than letting them to hit the report as spam button.

As a sender, you should also place the unsubscribe link prominently in the footer and make sure you also keep the process simpler for users who wants to opt out.

Just FYI - List Unsubscribe is primarily applicable for commercial emails but when it comes to transactional emails, ESP must define and review the transactional email content and can define a accordingly in the list unsubscribe header not to show list unsubscribe header on transactional emails.

Let me know if you have any questions further.

Regards

Mohsin

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @pwieland and @inboxingmaestro 

Some new info from Klaviyo on this topic if you’ve not already seen it: https://www.klaviyo.com/blog/gmail-update

Regards

Andy 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

So we have 3 weeks to go before Google and Yahoo implement these changes..

Klaviyo team, will you be coding the one-click unsubscribe for us?

Also not many people chatting here about these changes, even though this is the biggest regulation change to email for quite some time..

My biggest concern is how we will stick to 5k gmail recipients per day when we have 50k+ engaged gmail accounts for some of our clients..?

Should make for some fun segmentation and multi-day campaign sends 😓

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

An amendment to my message above.. Klaviyo won’t allow me to edit it!

I realize now we can send to more than 5k gmails per day, but need to keep below the 0.3% (0.1% preferred by Google), and have the DMARC and SPF configured. 

that makes it a bit easier, to just send to engaged contacts only.. however are any of you worried we will lose contacts due to this? Will Apple’s IOS privacy rules that hide user identities be an issue here?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@Travis I came here looking for the same info on what is happening with the one-click unsubscribes Klaviyo mentioned they were going to add.