Solved

Delay flow using date variable from custom event

• 10 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I'm pretty new to Klaviyo. I do like most of the product so far, but there is one thing I really miss. It would be really useful to be able to delay a flow, using a date variable from the event. 

Sample use case: 

The current date is 10th of July. A client books a birthday party for 15h of August at our website. A custom booking event is triggered and send to Klaviyo. This triggers a flow to directly send out an email, including the details of the party and some directions. 

Then two days prior to the party, I'd like to send out an email with a reminder and some questions related to the party. This should be based on the date of the party, which is in the custom booking event.

I don't think this is the only use case. Everything regarding courses (course dates), events, hotels, etc would probably benefit from this option. And it's not rocket science ;) 

So, where can I do a formal feature request? 

icon

Best answer by Christiaan 10 July 2023, 14:28

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Welcome to the community @Christiaan 

Great suggested enhancement and one i’d love to see in Klaviyo!

I raised this about a year ago with Klaviyo support as I have an ecomm client that also sells courses. I was told it was not supported. So, I have to create campaigns and schedule them around course dates. Not ideal but manageable for me as there are only 2 to 4 dates per month. Sounds like you have more courses/overhead!

Maybe one of the community managers can jump on this request and forward to the right team - @David To ?

Regards

Andy

Badge

Hi @bluesnapper, thanks for the support! 

Yes, we have around 120 courses per year and around 200 birthday parties. A bit too much for setting up separate flows. ;) 

By the way, my best workaround is loading the dates into a datastore in Make (former Integromat), a product like Zapier. Run through the records each day, to trigger custom events to Klaviyo API. It works, but it's not nice.

Maybe this can help you? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Thanks for the heads-up on Make, @Christiaan 

If my course requirements get out of hand, I’ll look into it!

Hopefully Klaviyo will consider your enhancement request.

Regards

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @Christiaan and @bluesnapper 

Thank you for posting your request in the community and for the collaboration thus far! If I understand your use case, I do believe this is available within Klaviyo using the date-based trigger within flows. 

@bluesnapper - I am not sure when this was released, but you can configure a flow based on a date and configure the flow to start prior to the data value saved within a profile property. 

Checkout the following Klaviyo support article that walks through how to set up a date-property triggered flow!

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002732652

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to let us know!

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @In the Inbox 

Thanks for jumping on this thread and for your comments!

As you point out, a date based flow can be set-up to trigger a message X-days/weeks/months prior to the data value saved within a custom property, However, in my case (and @Christiaan too I think), I don’t know the date chosen in advance - it’s a product variant. When new course dates are available, they’re added as new variants.

For example, when a course is purchased the customer chooses the date they want (the variant value). I can’t see how to add that date variant value as a custom property (from their order) to then trigger a date flow. If i try creating a flow to update the custom property “course date”, the only option is to add a fixed date-value.

Even if updating a date property from the variant is possible, the variants I use are “friendly” e.g 16th July 2023 and that’s not in a date format that Klaviyo will accept i.e YYYY-MM-DD or MM/DD/YYYY.

Have a missed something, or is there a way to achieve this given the above constraints?

Thanks

Andy

Badge

Hi @In the Inbox 

Thanks for trying to help, although I don't think this will be a good solution for this use case, because: 

Customers can book multiple courses at the same time. We offer kids courses and parents very often signup multiple kids and sometimes even for multiple courses. 

A course has multiple dates on which we want a mail to be sent. 

That means, that if we use your suggested solution, we need to store all these dates as custom properties and also store all specific course information in custom properties, because we need these as content for the emails. For example, location, dates for all course lessons, start time, end time, etc. As you can see, with multiple courses per client, this will get out of hand quickly. It will be almost like a meta data table. 

On the other hand, if we can use a date property from the event, the flow will be very easy. All course specific info is in the custom event. We send the first email, then wait till the next date, send out the second email, etc. When the course finishes, the last email will be send, asking for a review and then they leave the flow.

* For this to work, I now realize, it should also be possible for contacts to be in one flow multiple times at once. This is needed when a customer has two kids in the same course. I don't know if that is even possible in Klaviyo?