Solved

Issue with Started Checkout flow sending users to "/none" [Shopify]

• 6 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi there, 

I’ve been looking through a few threads and haven’t found an answer to this question yet. 

Could someone help me figure out why our Started checkout flow emails are sometimes sending people to a “/none” url?

I looked at the activity details for multiple customers that have received the flow under:

Analytics > Metrics > Checkout Started > Activity Feed > the three dots to the right of multiple users > Activity Details > and then I see the following under the “$value” branch: 

"responsive_checkout_url":

NULL

"checkout_url":

NULL

When users receive this URL they just basically get sent to a blank page, not even to our site. 

I’ve tested this and looked at dozens of people’s activity details for the checkout started flow, and it looks like about 30% of them are actually getting a link to their restored cart. The rest are being led to nowhere. 

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Our Checkout Started flow is setup the default way and hasn’t been changed in over a year. We’re only noticing that this issue started in the last couple of months. 

We recently removed a button that let users go straight to checkout and skip the cart page but that didn’t fix it. 

Do you have any thoughts on this? 

I’d rather not simply just put the {{ organization.url }}/cart​ in because that seems like giving up. 

It seems like the issue is because Shopify is only sometimes getting all of the cart data pushed up to Klaviyo. Maybe our store is too slow? 

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. 

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 7 November 2023, 16:12

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @AndrewEdwards422 

Thank you for posting your question in the community, and sorry to hear you are running into some issues with the checkout started cart links. I have not specifically run into the “NULL” values, but I have seen the checkout links redirecting to the homepage vs. the checkout page. 

When I dug deeper into this, the reason was that Shopify had removed the Cart ID for that particular user and if you clicked on the checkout link in Klaviyo, because the ID no longer existed, people were redirecting to the homepage. In all of the cases, the Cart ID was disabled because the user had actually completed the order. 

Note, this was more of an observation I ran into when testing and I didn’t see/hear of it affecting customers. 

I am not sure if this might be happening for you and maybe there is a setting to have null checkout links redirected to the homepage vs. a 404, but maybe something to dig into further. 

Someone had a similar issue in the past and I outlined the process of troubleshooting it in the following post.

https://community.klaviyo.com/campaigns%2Dand%2Dflows%2D30/abandoned%2Dcheckout%2Dflow%2Dcheckout%2Dlink%2Dis%2Dnot%2Dheading%2Dto%2Dcheckout%2Dpage%2D8774

That said, I’d love to invite my fellow Klaviyo Champions to see if they have any other recommendations: @Bobi N. @Omar @KatherineB @retention @Spark Bridge Digital LLC @ebusiness pros 

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @AndrewEdwards422!

I haven’t personally come across this issue before. @Brian Turcotte are you able to help shed any further insight here?