Solved

What are the optimal time delays for emails in a post-purchase flow?

• 9 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hi all, 

It would be great to hear your insight around optimal time delays for post-purchase flows in particular. I have added conditional splits to my flow surrounding first-time purchasers, repeat purchases and loyal customers. 

Is it optimal to have different time delays for each type of purchaser? 

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 9 March 2022, 15:19

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @standon2022 

Thank you for your question! In my mind, the answer sort of depends on the content of the email and your industry, but I will assume this is a post-purchase thank you-like message. Typically speaking, when a customer makes a purchase they will likely receive a series of messages based on your ecommerce platform from the order confirmation, shipping confirmation, out for delivery notice, and delivered notice, plus any post-purchase marketing messages. 

With that said, there usually a small duration between the order and ship confirmation emails that would work well to send your post-purchase email (usually 1-2 days after purchase). 

I do recommend sending your first post-purchase fairly soon after the purchase, and this is where your industry may play a part (ie. if you have a high or low AOV), is that customers are more likely to make a repeat purchase within the first 30-days of making a purchase so being at the top of their inbox helps drive customers back to the store.

In this case, I don’t personally believe there needs to be any differentiation in timing between first-time, repeat, or loyalty buyers. The content should be different to speak to those users based on their buying levels with you, but I don’t think the time of when the email is sent needs to be all that different. 

I hope that helps!

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @standon2022!
First, I’d like to say the information that @In the Inbox provided was stellar and I recommend reading through their thoughts! So thank you for that feedback!
Here are just some resources I wanted to share regarding post purchase flows. One being our help center article and another being our community posts related to this topic.

Thanks!
Alex