Solved

Can Klaviyo variables have multiple lines?

• 22 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi all,

I am using the Klaviyo API to create some custom personalization in one of me email flows.

If I’m passing a variable back to Klaviyo through a metric/event, let’s call it “personalization”, is it possible for this to be a multi-line text?

Currently it seems that all new line characters are not being passed into Klaviyo.​​​​​​​

Appreciate all your help in advance!

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 22 October 2023, 20:11

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @AC0!

At this time, custom properties/variables do not support multi-line text, but I will pass this on to our API team and I’ll update the thread if anything changes!

Best,

Brian

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I know this has been “Answered” but the answer is not “Klaviyo can’t do this” - the questions is why are you trying to submit a multiple line record?  Typically in any database structure the number of lines is not consequential as line breaks are human-readable issues not data storage issues.

If you are trying to submit multiple values in a custom data field then Klaviyo can ABSOLUTELY do this - just submit the multiple values as a JSON array.   Klaviyo’s segmenting supports this and all the values you submit in the array will populate in the “Dimensions Value” field.  On your front end just display each JSON array item in a new line.