Solved

Important Upcoming Klaviyo API Change

Upcoming API Change, email received 5/19/2022

We are reaching out to share information regarding a critical upcoming API change that will take place on June 13th, 2022.

What's Changing
After June 13th, our Identify API will no longer support making updates to an existing profile’s unique identifiers (email address, phone number, and external id). Now, to make these profile updates, you will need to utilize Klaviyo’s Profiles API, which requires using an account’s Private API Key.

Why
In order to prevent potential abuse, we will require the use of a Private API Key to update profile identifiers like email address and phone number using our Profiles API.

Action Required
If any client relies on an in-house solution or integration to update profile identifiers utilizing our Identify API, please ensure these implementations are modified prior to June 13th, 2022 to avoid disruption. For more information, please reference the following guide: Update profile identifiers via API

If you have any questions or concerns, please review our F.A.Q, reach out to your partner manager, or post to our Developer Community.

Q: Does this message refer to the built-in integrations inside Klaviyo
I’m not sure if the term in-house above is referring only to the word solution or also to the word integration.

Email said to post in Developer Community, so here I am.

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 20 May 2022, 16:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JimmieaQuick

Thanks for bringing this to light in the Developer Community and ensuring that your peers are up to date on this change to our API! 

Yes, the term ‘in-house’ and ‘built-in’ integration are both referring to an integration in the Klaviyo system. A custom solution refers to a custom connection made as there is no native connection between two platforms. Essentially, any custom or third-party integration, that is using our Identify API to update profile information will need to be made aware of our new implementation of the Klaviyo Profile API and make the change accordingly. This change will help us increase our security and protection of customer information by utilizing a private API key from now on. 

Thanks for making good use of this new group! 

-Taylor 

Thank you. But I don’t see any clear step-by-step directions for what I’m supposed to do to make sure that integrations still work. For example Facebook integration. What do I need to do to make sure that keeps working? @Taylor Tarpley 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JimmieaQuick

Happy to share more insight here! First, you will need to evaluate if any of your custom/third-party integrations are were even using the Identify API in this manner. If not, no worries! However, if you are, then you’ll essentially want to work with your developer to resolve this and instead of leveraging the Identify API to update an existing profile's Unique identifier, you’ll want to use the Profiles API. The next exact steps you need are on an individual case-by-case basis depending on how each company is using these  Identify API endpoints presently to know what to do next. 

-Taylor 

@Taylor Tarpley  As stated, using Facebook integration. Do I need to do anything? I’m still not any clearer than I was prior to your answer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JimmieaQuick

Your Facebook integration is in-house so there is nothing to worry about, I misspoke earlier! This update only targets custom, third-party integrations.

-Taylor