Solved

Background color for email columns

• 11 November 2021
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I’ve added a new image to a column and when I change the background color the area below the image is not changing. Is this normal or is there a way to show the same color for the whole area? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by thepowerofcopy 12 November 2021, 16:04

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

I’ve added a new image to a column and when I change the background color the area below the image is not changing. Is this normal or is there a way to show the same color for the whole area? Thanks.

Hello, @vylla001 

You will need to upload all of the icons first before changing the background color, but make sure that they are all the same size.

I recorded a screen record for you. :)

You can find it at the following link: 

I hope it help you.

Rooting for you,
Mae

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi! Instead of creating a new post I just add my similiar problem here, hope this is okay:

I also added (three) columns to my template. Instead of using icons of the same size I have some text in the first column and graphics in the other two columns. This leads to the problem, that there is a white space under the graphics when the text in the first column is getting too long in some webclients or when someone is zooming in the fonts. In HTML I could easily fix this by adding a bgcolor to the whole columns-container, but how could I fix this in Klaviyo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @Simsen,

Thanks for posting a question here and keeping the discussion going!

In the new template editor, you can add in a section > pick your column layout > add image blocks in one column, and a text block in the other column.

Then the section can have one color (let’s use example: blue) background color added, and the image block can have a 'block' background color of white, so there can be two colors side by side.

Otherwise, in the old editor, you can use the 'add column to email' button, add 2 columns, and add a background color to the text block under Block Styles. 

Hope this helped!
Alex

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Wow, thank you @alex.hong ! I have to admit that I didn’t even know that there is a new editor with much more possible configurations. So thank you very much for your help!

Simon

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Glad I could help @Simsen! I hope you explore the new editor and utilize all of its features to level up your brand and business!

Happy sending,

Alex

Wow, thank you @alex.hong ! I have to admit that I didn’t even know that there is a new editor with much more possible configurations. So thank you very much for your help!

Simon

Wow. I just spent hours on a new template for a new client, and now I’m seeing that there’s a new editor?! Ugh. Why didn’t you guys email users about this change? This is pretty big. And there’s no way to convert templates over into it? I have to manually recreate the template I just spent hours on? Why do you do this to us, Klaviyo?

I came here due to same problem with extra white space around image in a 2-column layout. I cannot get rid of it despite updating backgrounds to the same color. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @JimmieaQuick,

Thanks for your feedback.

We actually did announce our new template editor on our October 2021 KPE. In addition, there was a built in notification regarding the new template when going to your forms and even now when you begin the template creation process, there is an option to choose between the new vs classic editor. If you do not see that appearing on your end, feel free to let us know so we can investigate the issue.

At this time, it is not possible to transfer saved blocks from the old editor to the new editor. It is simply a matter of how the editors are differently built, making saved blocks of the old editor incompatible with the new editor.  This is outlined further in the About Blocks and Layout section of our Guide to the Email Template Editor (new editor)

One product enhancement we will introduce shortly will be the ability to convert an old editor template to a new editor template, so this enhancement should cut down on some of the work needed to rebuild your saved blocks from scratch.  In the meantime however, you would need to rebuild old saved blocks in the new editor manually, in order for them to be available in the new editor for future use.

Lastly, for the issue you are running into with that template: 

It could be caused if you edited the text to align next to the image. That way, it is creating space in line like padding. On the related note, community members have found that sometimes the formatting of images/spacing had led to white space appearing on some template designs. I would say it would also be beneficial to test with an image if possible since it doesn't actually help if the template does not have an image uploaded as it will depend on the image size. I would recommend also checking out this community thread, more specifically @David To ‘s replies towards the end of the thread:

All the best,

Alex

@alex.hong 
I don’t have margin in my schedule to watch videos and much prefer to receive info in text format. I think this change is big enough that it needs its own email/post/message and not lump it into a generic “updates” share.

Yes, when I use the create new template feature, I see this option, but I’ve never before clicked that. I only did it for the first time after seeing your directions. I have always started with the premade templates and edited those to my preferences. When you work from there, there is no option to use the new editor and no notice of it either. It would make more sense to have a note on the template area of Klaviyo, explaining this change. 

I will absolutely wait for the ability to convert an old editor template to a new editor template. I cannot redo all the work I’ve already done. Just no time margin for duplicating my work.

And thanks for the link to the possible solutions. I will try a table instead of columns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

@JimmieaQuick,

Our great CS team actually did send an email regarding the new template editor as well! I would check your inbox for mail sent on October 21, 2021 with the subject line of “There's a big update coming next week!” 

I am unsure why you do not see the option prior. I have checked on my own test account and even when going into create a new template, the very first step is the choice between the classic or new editor. And then from there, I can select premade templates like you have. So unless you are skipping a step or something is missing from within our account, please let us know so we can investigate it if it is a bug. 

You will be completely fine leaving your classic templates as is and if you choose to, you could create new templates with the new editor but regardless the outcome will be the same.

Thanks,

Alex

@alex.hong  Thanks. My point is that the email subject line should be NEW EDITOR IS GOING TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE AND YOUR KLAVIYO WORK FLOW | PAY ATTENTION OR YOU’LL WASTE A TON OF TIME not something generic like “updates.” 

You aren’t understanding what I’m saying about templates. I’m not saying creating a new template. I’m saying CUSTOMIZING A PREMADE TEMPLATE.

When you have a new account, Klaviyo automatically uploads a bunch of pre-made templates. See those were all created on Jan. 22? That’s when the client started his new Klaviyo account. If you start with those, there is no option to use new editor. (Of course, I start with those as it’s time saving.) 

I deleted most of them already (as they are redundant) or renamed them. But here’s what I’m talking about.

Also see you guys have just 11 min. ago added something here to alert me to the New Editor. Smart! That’s exactly where I need to see it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @JimmieaQuick,

Thanks for the clarification.

Correct that you wouldn't have the ability to use the new editor if you were simply only adjusting and re-using the existing templates as the new editor does not support this yet. Additional details were covered on initial launch of the new template editor.

Best,

Alex 

Badge

Hi @alex.hong 

Hope it’s OK that I type a problem similar to the other ones here.

I’ve inserted a background color and it looks really good without any white space etc. in Klaviyo. When receiving it on my Gmail there comes some white spaces (both laptop and iPhone) besides the pictures. In Klaviyo there aren’t any white spaces as they are placed besides each other.

Do you have any advice on how to make sure that the layout made in Klaviyo is the same when sending it out?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Karen

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @knebelp,

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, this issue can occur for a large variable of reasons. So although I am unable to pinpoint the exact solution, I can point to some hypotheticals. 

For example, are you already using the “Fill Image Area” setting for that image block? If not, I would recommend doing so as enabling that setting would allow the image to fill up the entire space of the block. You can find that setting by clicking on the Image Block > Block > Fill Image Area.

Some other things to consider:

• Are there any padding used for that Image Block?
    • You can see if there are padding applied and update it by going the Block Styles of the Image Block
  • Are you uploading an image that has those white borders to the left and right of the image?
    • If so, then you may want to “cut” or remove these borders before uploading to Klaviyo for use again

Can you also double check to make sure if your template’s width is set to be 600px? You can check this from the form’s Style’s tab.

I would also recommend ensuring the above settings of Fill Image Area, Padding, and 600px Width are actually saved to the template as any changes will need to be saved for these updates to take effect. If this still doesn’t resolve your issue, can you also share some images of your template highlighting the template’s Style’s tab, respective image’s Block’s tab, and the Block Style’s tab?

I also recommend checking these two community article threads:

Thank you!
Alex