Solved

What's the difference between uploading coupons into Klaviyo and using a Klaviyo created coupon?

• 21 August 2023
  • 7 replies

What is the difference between uploading your shopify coupon codes vs using a Klaviyo created coupon code? Just trying to determine which is better for my Flow series.

Please advise, thank you! 

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 25 August 2023, 06:21

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Hi @itdebJ 

I would recommend using the Klaviyo Created coupons in your flows. These are automatically created inside Shopify (and it will create more as required) with the key benefit being that each user will get a unique coupon that can only be used by them (meaning your coupons won’t end up on Reddit). By creating them in Klaviyo you can also set the expiration to be based on the flow ie. “Coupon valid for 7 days” - then you can send a follow up in your flow to remind customers their coupon is expiring if they didn’t use it yet).

More info on Shopify coupons with Klaviyo here.

@DavidV Thank you so much this is so helpful! To clarify, when I create coupon in Klaviyo they are automatically created inside Shopify? Why would anyone upload their coupon codes to Klaviyo it so much cleaner and easier in Klaviyo. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@itdebJ That’s right - they’re automatically created inside Shopify when you create them in Klaviyo so super smooth!

You’re right - it would be kinda pointless in most cases uploading the coupon codes but I have done this before where we had physical coupons printed onto flyers - in that case it’s easier to generate them and upload them in. The other reason this exists is that some platforms don’t have as much of an integration as Shopify does.

But in 99.9% of cases when using Shopify you’re better off just creating them in Klaviyo!

@DavidV Amazing. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @itdebJ 

Just to add to @DavidV great replies, it’s worth adding a static prefix to dynamic codes. That will allow you to filter by the prefix should you need to at some point. I wrote about that here.

Regards

Andy

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Good point @bluesnapper! Also makes it easier in Shopify to track performance :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @itdebJ

This is such a great question and I’m glad to see the lively interaction here! To add some more insight to the difference between the two, the biggest difference lies in how you maintain the coupons. 

For example, if you are using uploaded coupons from outside of Klaviyo then you import into Klaviyo, this method is helpful if you're using point of sale software that can generate and manage coupon codes. However, there are some important things to note when uploading coupons using this method.

• Klaviyo doesn't maintain any metadata on your coupons. This means we don't know how much the code is worth, what the expiration period is, which restrictions there are on the code's use.
  • You are responsible for ensuring the validity and expiration dates that these codes will work at your point of sale system.
  • You can set an expiration date when adding coupon codes, but this date only applies to how long the coupon codes are available in your Klaviyo account. Please note that dates are in the UTC time zone.
  • Uploaded coupon codes will be stored in Klaviyo for one year. After that year, unsent codes will expire automatically, and you will need to upload new codes.

As mentioned, you must always have enough coupon codes to send to recipients. If you send a campaign or flow message without enough available coupon codes, the messages will be skipped.

Now, if you were to use our Klaviyo generated coupon codes and insert this into a flow email specifically, the Klaviyo generated unique coupon codes for live flow emails are generated automatically in batches of 100. However, if you use our Klaviyo generated coupons for campaigns, then you would need to manually add enough codes for the amount of profiles you are sending to for that campaign: Using your coupon in a campaign email

If you use Klaviyo generated coupons then you can control the coupon parameters within Klaviyo, but if you use uploaded coupons, then all the coupon settings are set outside of Klaviyo. if you use uploaded coupons, then you need to upload and maintain the coupons regularly so that it doesn't run out. 

Hope this helps!