Solved

Can we remove empty Product Categories?

• 17 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

We have recently cleaned up our product categories and have removed many of them However, the old categories are still present, with no products attached to them.

Are they removed automatically or can you trigger something?

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 18 August 2022, 15:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Aram Becker

Thanks for sharing your question with us! 

Are you working with a Shopify integration? I’d recommend initiating a resync of your catalog as this should remove the categories that aren’t there anymore and should refresh your catalog to match your integration’s backend. 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +2

Hi @Aram Becker

Thanks for sharing your question with us! 

Are you working with a Shopify integration? I’d recommend initiating a resync of your catalog as this should remove the categories that aren’t there anymore and should refresh your catalog to match your integration’s backend. 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Thanks for the response!

We are using a custom catalog feed, in form of multiple JSON URLs. We have updated them about a week ago, cleaning up the categories. But the previous categories are still showing up in any search fields related to Product categories.

(the list of categories shown contains only categories that we have already removed)

Badge +2

@Taylor Tarpley 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Aram Becker,

Since you’re using a custom catalog  I’d suggest reaching out to our awesome awesome support team to investigate this further for you! 

-Taylor 

Badge +1

Hi @Aram Becker,

Since you’re using a custom catalog  I’d suggest reaching out to our awesome awesome support team to investigate this further for you! 

-Taylor 

Hi @Taylor Tarpley , is the best action when you have a custom catalog and old categories that you want removed still to contact support? Or is there a way to delete them from the control panel somewhere.

Thanks,

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @onlineretailguy,

If you needed old categories removed you would still want to reach out to our wonderful Support team. Typically, this would entail purging your catalog and having you re-syncing it. 

I typically wouldn’t suggest this unless there was a real need for it. Older categories are oftentimes still present since they are representative of past historical data. Removing them could make it harder (but not impossible) if you wanted to create segments or filters to target these older categories. 

David