Solved

Mailchimp migration

• 4 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hey guys, 

hope you’re safe!

We’re migrating from our MC account into klaviyo.
As you already know, MC marks every contact with a specific “tag”.

There are 4 different tags:

• empty (someone who bought, but not agreed with subscription);
  • subscribed and /or unsubscribed;
  • cleaned (someone who bought, agreed with subscription but, after the purchase, bounced a lot of emails and is no longer reached by email because it is a very "cold" contact);

Now, we have 0 empty and a lot of cleaned contacts. We’re concerned about cleaned contacts management during the migration.

I know that unsubscribed contacts, after the migration from MC and thanks to the migration of statistics from MC, are listed in specific field called “suppressed profiles” in the Klaviyo “Profiles” section.

Our Goals: We don’t want reach out these cleaned contacts with klaviyo, also, we need to add these cleaned contacts to our customer order history in shopify (“customers” section in shopify dashboard);

Also, thanks to your video tutorial, I know that I DO NOT have to sign the advanced option (“integration” section in klaviyo dashboard) called “update shopify customer data”, if I don’t want to overwrite my shopify customers data with klaviyo data.

So , in order to achieve our goals, my questions are:

1. what do you suggest to do first? First Migration and second add contacts in shopify customers section via .csv file? or otherwise first add contacts in shopify and second migration from MC?
  2. After the migration, where can I find these cleaned contacts? Are they considered and listed in “suppressed profiles” as well as unsubscribed contacts?

Thanks for the support (and sorry for the excessive bla bla bla...).

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 7 March 2022, 23:56

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @Gio_raiseyourhand,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community and I hope your migration over will go smoothly. To better assist, I would like to provide additional info regarding the MC to Klaviyo migration.

If you are only using Klaviyo at the moment, I would gather then move all your contacts from MailChimp and Shopify into Klaviyo then you can remove those apps from Shopify that way only Klaviyo is connected to your site.
If MailChimp is already in Shopify and you've integrated with Klaviyo, those profiles may already be in Klaviyo so you should be able to remove those apps. You can first look up a few contacts and make sure they are already in Klaviyo. Transitioning from MailChimp first requires adding the MailChimp integration to your Klaviyo account. This will allow you to sync your lists and email send data.

If they are not, we have some amazing help articles to you started on how to migrate those contacts:

Assuming your MailChimp integration had the option selected to create lists from audiences, would your contacts not get added? Profiles subscribed via a MailChimp Form will be added to the list within Klaviyo, and they will also show a Subscribed to List metric via the MailChimp integration.

Key Guidelines

1. Swap out embedded simple signup forms
    Make sure to switch all existing newsletter sign up forms on your site to Klaviyo forms to ensure these individuals now get added to your newsletter list in Klaviyo
  2. Redirect integrated subscriber forms
    If you're using any third-party form tools (e.g. Wufoo, forms on Facebook, etc.) to send people to your ESP, make sure to adjust these so they point to Klaviyo
  3. Sync subscribers at checkout
    If you're automatically collecting newsletter subscribers through your shopping cart checkout process, make sure these subscribers get synced to Klaviyo; for platforms like Shopify and Magento, this feature is available via the standard integration
  4. Import current bounces and unsubscribes
    If you are using a built-in Klaviyo integration to migrate over from your former ESP, you're all set here; if not, you will need to ensure any lists of bounces/unsubscribes are uploaded directly to your suppression list in Klaviyo
  5. Migrate current autoresponders
    Migrate any existing autoresponders to flows and turn them live
  6. Migrate saved email templates
    If you are interested in transferring existing newsletter email templates from your former ESP to Klaviyo, you can follow our guide on importing a custom HTML template
  7. Ensure all existing subscribers are added to Klaviyo:
    1. If you're using Mailchimp/Campaign Monitor/Constant Contact/Mad Mimi, Klaviyo has a built-in integration to sync existing lists, which you can find by navigating to Integrations tab, clicking All Integrations, filtering Category = Email, and then choosing your ESP from the list
    2. If you're using an ESP that we don't integrate with or have an existing subscriber list in a CSV or Excel file, you can easily import or copy/paste your subscribers into Klaviyo.

Once you have completed all of these steps, you will no longer need to be affiliated with your previous ESP.

Make sure you have imported all of the data you want to save from your previous ESP into Klaviyo so that data will be available to use after you’ve completed the migration.

After switching all your signup forms to point to Klaviyo, wait a few days and watch your lists in your former ESP. If you notice subscribers are still being added to these lists, there's probably at least one form that still needs to be swapped out.

Another important thing to consider before importing any existing email lists is list cleaning. We highly recommend that you import clean lists into Klaviyo and send to an engaged list from your first send - if you intend to sync over existing email lists, or manually import existing lists into Klaviyo, your email deliverability may be at risk if you skip this step.

Your former ESP most likely provides a way to analyze the engagement level of your main list, using data points such as open rates, bounce rates, etc. Before you migrate any existing subscriber lists into Klaviyo, we recommend using all data available to isolate and remove any invalid or inactive emails that will only bloat your sending and drag down your deliverability. This should all be done in advance of your first send with Klaviyo.

Once you've done either of these options, you should send exclusively to your engaged list or segment for your first few campaigns. If you send daily, send to this group for the first week. If you send more than once a week, send your first 2-3 campaigns to this list or segment. (How to Import Your Contacts from a Previous ESP or CRM)

Hope this helped,

Alex

Badge +2

Alex, thank you so much for you answer!

We’re following all these steps and we’re pretty sure we can reach our goal!
To answer your requests, here’s our situation:

• we don’t have mailchimp in shopify;
  • we’re using the integration via API from Mailchimp to Klaviyo;
  • Klaviyo is already integrated in our shopify and we didn’t sign the advanced option in the shopify integration “Update Shopify customer profiles with Klaviyo data” (screen);
    klaviyo dashboard -→ integration 

Just one last quick question:

• First, we’re migrating and integrating, as second step, our mailchimp contacts to klaviyo;
  • Second, we’re importing our proprietary database of contacts via .csv file in “customers” section from shopify dashboard;

in order to be sure to not merge/mix the .csv database contacts from shopify and the integrated contacts from mailchimp,  what do you think about this steps (first + second)?
Is it the correct order or do we have to change and reverse the order of execution?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @Gio_raiseyourhand,

Glad I could help!
To bring all these contacts over, please export them to a CSV file and import into a new or existing List.

I'm including some helpful docs here:
How to Import Your Contacts from a Previous ESP or CRM
How to Add Subscribers to an Existing List
How to Create and Add Contacts to a New List

You won't need to worry about any duplicates as well - if we already have a Profile associated with the email, the import will just merge in any new data to the existing Profile.

To be safe you could migrate over and then finalize your setup for your new integration by importing your CSVs.

Hopefully that helped and I wish you the best,

Alex