Solved

Migrating eCommerce platform Can we integrate before the new platform is live

• 10 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

We’re moving from Bigcommerce to Shopify. We use Klaviyo on Bigcommerce and plan to continue to use it on Shopify. 

I’ve read this the help article about integrating a new platform to Klaviyo.

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003124151-How-to-update-Klaviyo-after-switching-ecommerce-platforms

The article recommends waiting until all historical data is imported to the new platform to integrate Klaviyo. I get it BUT I don’t want to wait to start migrating flows, segments etc until after we’re live.

So my question.  Can I integrate Klaviyo now and then use the “Re-Import Historic Data” function to bring in customer and order information that wasn’t available in Shopify when we first integrated it with Klaviyo.

(Our shopify site is about 90% complete and has order and customer data current as of about a month ago.)

-Ken

icon

Best answer by retention 10 March 2023, 18:34

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @kenmck, welcome to the community,

Having done lots of migrations from BigCommerce to Shopify, we’ve definitely done a lot of things in parallel while we wait for the new site to be completed.  There’s no need to wait for the completion of the migration to begin working in Klaviyo, however you may want to be careful which Flows you enable until everything is properly switched over.

As an example, migrating the historical data is important only if you have Segment triggered Flows based on historical actions.  For example, if you have a Flow that’s triggered on a repeat purchase or  A Flow that sends a winback if someone hasn’t purchased in 6 months, etc.  Obviously, since the historical data is not present in the Shopify events, those Flows should be left in Draft or Manual. 

You can still develop the Flow structure, the templates (design and copy), but I’d wait until the historical data is complete before turning those on because it may not work properly.  

Hope that helps!