Solved

Stripe API not passing customer names to Klaviyo?

• 5 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

It looks like when a customer who is NOT in Klaviyo previously purchases on Stripe, only their email is passed to Klaviyo but not their name. Can I change something to make Stripe pass the name as well?

icon

Best answer by David To 11 May 2023, 22:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @blissy,

Welcome back to the Klaviyo Community!

In my experience, this sort of behavior isn’t only limited to Stripe. This experience is often times caused by the property fields that are being collected, not aligning with how the data is recognized in Klaviyo as an acceptable property.

For example, if the first name field via Stripe is being collected as “First_Name” or “First”, then it would not be recognized by Klaviyo. Instead, you’ll want the first name property to be stored as “First Name” in order for it to be considered a special property

I would suggest reviewing your Stripe backend to make sure those properties being recorded are mapped to align with Klaviyo’s. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +4

Hello @blissy,

Welcome back to the Klaviyo Community!

In my experience, this sort of behavior isn’t only limited to Stripe. This experience is often times caused by the property fields are being collected, not aligning with how the data is recognized in Klaviyo as an acceptable property.

For example, if the first name field via Stripe is being collected as “First_Name” or “First”, then it would not be recognized by Klaviyo. Instead, you’ll want the first name property to be stored as “First Name” in order for it to be considered a special property

I would suggest reviewing your Stripe backend to make sure those properties being recorded are mapped to align with Klaviyo’s. 

I hope this helps!

David

I’m not sure what you’re referring to. I’m using the default Stripe integration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @blissy,

Let me try to explain it another way. 

By integrating Stripe with Klaviyo, you’re essentially creating a connection between the two apps/tools. You’re enabling Stripe to send data to Klaviyo.

Although the connection is setup, some of the data being sent to Klaviyo may not align with the acceptable formats. In this case, those Stripe checkout fields may not align with Klaviyo’s special property formats. For example, if Stripe is collecting the first name field as anything rather than “First Name” through the checkout page in the backend; they would not be recognized when synced to Klaviyo.

If you haven’t already, you may also want to speak with your developer to investigate your Stripe setup further.

David

Badge +4

As I’m using the default Klaviyo-Stripe integration, this issue doesn’t seem like something I can tweak on my end but rather something that can be fixed by Klaviyo by tweaking something in the default integration. Could you consult the tech team on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @blissy,

The Community forum is a space for Klaviyo Customers, partners and other users to network and learn from one another. If you need more hands on assistance to look into this behavior further, I would suggest working alongside your developer or even reaching out to one of our many helpful Klaviyo Partners

Through the default Klaviyo x Stripe integration, this establishes a connected to sync Stripe information to Klaviyo. However, it’s still mandatory for the Stripe information to be formatted accurately in order to be successfully received and understood by Klaviyo. 

In my experience, this is oftentimes caused by the Stripe checkout fields not being mapped correctly. This wouldn’t be something that can be adjusted within the default integration setting itself; but rather in how you set up your Stripe checkout fields in your backend.

An analogy we can use to explain his behavior would be if you were to ship several apparel items to a customer, but some items in the package ended up being the incorrect size of what was ordered. It wouldn’t be surprising if the customer kept the items that were the correct size but rejected the ones that were incorrect. 

This is similar to what you’re experiencing. Compared to this analogy, the emails, first name, last name, etc would all be the items in the package being delivered. In this case, the email fields would be the items in the correct size while the name fields (first and last) would be the items in the incorrect size. Hence, why email is being synced to Klaviyo successfully, but the name fields are not. 

David

Badge +4

So adjusting the checkout fields has usually fixed this issue in the past?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @blissy,

Yes! In my experience, adjusting your checkout field and their properties have helped solve this case. As mentioned prior, Klaviyo will only accept and understand data if it’s in an acceptable format. 

David