Solved

Update a Klaviyo custom property list with Zapier

• 6 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

Looking for someone with experience using Zapier and Klaviyo property lists/arrays

Klaviyo stores a custom property as a list if the values are surrounded by square brackets []

So I can easily transfer a value from Zapier into Klaviyo as a list by putting square brackets around the Zapier value.

But I’m thinking about the best way to update an existing property list in Klaviyo with more items.

For example, if I find the contact with Zapier’s Klaviyo search action, I can retrieve their profile property list

e.g. [Item 1,Item 2,Item 3]

Then I could use Zapier formatter to remove each square bracket (2 steps)

Then use the Zapier Klaviyo update action to bring in the old items plus the new item, and re-enclose them with square brackets:

e.g. [Item 1,Item 2,Item 3,NEW ITEM]

I’m just wondering if this is the best way to do this (adds 2 Zapier actions each time), or if there is a more streamlined way I’m missing.

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 7 December 2021, 00:26

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JacobM

Thanks for sharing your question with us! 

Hypothetically, the workflow you have outlined here would work! In order to update the data, one would need to retrieve the existing data points, remove brackets, and then add in their desired profile property, and re-enclose in brackets in order to not constantly override the existing list data. Without taking the steps you’ve outlined, by adding new data to the profile, the data would constantly be replaced rather than updated. 

However, this process and potential solution really hinges on if Zapier has this capability to retrieve data from Klaviyo. In theory, Zapier can receive data from Klaviyo by making the right API calls, however, we suggest reaching out to Zapier's support to inquire if this can be done since they own the code in question. 

Thanks for being a part of the Community and asking a question that could help your peers in the future!

-Taylor