Solved

What are the rules for triggering "Active on Site" event ?

• 7 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hello.

I need to confirm how “Active on Site” is actually supposed to work. I can see that these events are coming and are registered in Klaviyo both for me and users of the site. The issue is that “Active on Site” seems to be registering once, and then when I refresh the site, browse through it and so and so on no more events are popping up on Klaviyo. 

Are there some rules that limit how often the events are registered for a given user ? For example at most 1 “Active on Site” event per hour or something like that ? Or is something wrong with my integration ?  

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 7 February 2023, 16:40

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @maciekw and welcome back to the Community!

There’s definitely no practical limit on the events that Active on Site can track in a certain time frame, but there are some other things that could be causing this lapse in tracking:

1. Browser is not identified:
    • Active on Site is only able to track browsers that have been cookied in one of these ways:
      • If someone has, at some point, clicked through a Klaviyo email to your website.
      • If someone has, at some point, subscribed/opted-in through a Klaviyo form.
      • If someone has, at some point, logged into your site and you have tracking installed.
    • If you clear your browser cache/cookies after being identified in one of these ways, Active on Site tracking will not recognize you.

2. Ad-blockers:
    • If you or your site visitors are using a third-party ad-blocker during testing or site visitation, it can block Active on Site from identifying your browser.
    • If you are testing this way, it’s possible that this would explain why you are only being tracked once. Some ad-blockers aren’t activated until after the first cookie-detection is triggered, meaning that subsequent events will not be tracked.

3. Custom Integration design:
    • Is this a custom integration? If so, it’s possible that there can be custom design features that block/deter Active on Site from identifying a cookied browser. If this is the case, it may be helpful to speak to your developer or one of our wonderful Official Partners for development help.

If none of these potential causes apply, it’s possible that there is an authentication/integration error, and it may be helpful to disable and reconnect your integration. If you are using Shopify, here is a helpful Community thread with instructions on how to accomplish this:

Otherwise, you can follow these instructions to disable and reconnect a Klaviyo-build integration:

I hope this helps, and thanks for using the Community!

- Brian

Badge

Hi Brian, 

I originally had a similar question, thank you for the explanation. I am hoping you can clarify something further in regards to this part of your response:

• Active on Site is only able to track browsers that have been cookied in one of these ways:
    • If someone has, at some point, clicked through a Klaviyo email to your website.
    • If someone has, at some point, subscribed/opted-in through a Klaviyo form.
    • If someone has, at some point, logged into your site and you have tracking installed.

If none of these bullets are already satisfied, meaning the user has not already been cookied, does that mean that the first time someone comes to the site by clicking through an email they will not be counted as “active on site”? What if that user visits multiple pages, and is successfully cookied on that visit?

Thank you,

Eliza

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Eliza1

Happy to hear that @Brian Turcotte’s previous explanation was helpful for you! 

To your point, if a user is clicking through to your site from an email, they would be cookied because they had to sign up to receive an email from your brand in the first place. A site visitor’s activity will only be tracked after they take some kind of action with your brand ie. 

• subscribe via a form
  • bought a product and opted in to your marketing 

I’d recommend taking a look at  our onsite tracking documentation to understand this further! 

-Taylor

Badge

Thanks for your response Taylor!

We do have subscribers that come from in-store events, and we upload them to Klaviyo. So based on your response is it correct for me to assume that if they had not visited our site before—if their first visit came from clicking through a tracked email—that first visit would not register as Active on Site, only subsequent ones.

That would help explain the gap between my CTR numbers and Active numbers, which are always lower, sometimes considerably lower. Plmk if that sounds accurate.

Thank you!

Elizabeth

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Eliza1

Actually, by manually signing up to your list in store and uploading them to Klaviyo, that means that they have opted in to creating profiles with your store, ie Klaviyo profiles! By what you state above, if these uploaded customers, who are now trackable profiles in Klaviyo, if they click through to from your email to your site, that will be logged and you can see the event in their Klaviyo profile!

I think it would be helpful to know that your Click rate and CTR are different metrics.  A click rate is the percentage of people who clicked a link in your email out of the people who received your email, but a CTR measures those who clicked your email divided by those who have opened that email. I would measure your click rate and active on site metrics to get a more accurate reading of user activity. The active on site metric fires the moment a cookied user is on a site. Any delay would be due to how long the site takes to load the script in question.

Hope this helps!

-Taylor

@maciekw Did you ever get the tracking to work?

I’m trying to setup a GTM → GA4 → ServerSide → Klaviyo (via Stape) integration up. I’m getting the first Active on Site data, but then it stops tracking. 

Badge +1

I’m trying to setup a GTM → GA4 → ServerSide → Klaviyo (via Stape) integration up. I’m getting the first Active on Site data, but then it stops tracking. 

Hey @klavuserhere did you ever figure this out? I’m looking to do something similar. Going to start a new thread.

Hey @klavuserhere did you ever figure this out? I’m looking to do something similar. Going to start a new thread.

Yeah. The Active on site should not be used for pageload tracking. It’s more like a “is this user even active?”-metric. You need to create your own metric in Klaviyo if you want to track pageviews etc.