Solved

Not able to pass Shopify tags from Shopify back to Klaviyo

• 2 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

We’re trying to update Shopify Tag data in Klaviyo & then pass it back to Shopify

Using the method mentioned in this doc: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030919351#sync-fields-from-klaviyo-to-shopify3

But it doesn’t seem to work. Any ideas why?

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 10 August 2023, 19:42

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @kunalshetty!

I’m going to check on this with Engineering and I’ll update the thread as soon as possible!

Best,

Brian

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @kunalshetty!

My apologies for the delay here - may I ask where in particular you are getting stuck? For example, is there a stage in the Help Center article that you aren’t able to reach/is giving errors? Or have you followed the instructions without issue, but you’re not seeing the desired results?

In the meantime, here are some other Community posts you may find helpful:

Best,

Brian

Badge +1

Hey @Brian Turcotte, I’m not seeing an error while doing the process. It’s the 2nd one i.e. I have followed the instructions without issue, but I’m not seeing the desired results.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @kunalshetty,

I think it would really help the larger Community if you could share more details on your situation. Such as, what was the outcome you were expecting versus what behavior is happening now?

David

Badge +1

Hey @David To, so we were trying to add Shopify Tags to a customer profile when they passed through a specific branch of an automated flow in Klaviyo. (this was easily done)

The next step, was to update this new Shopify Tag data back in Shopify. This is the part that’s not working. 

• I thought this was possible to do using Klaviyo (using this reference doc). But it didn’t seem to work. Klaviyo didn’t pass any profile data back to Shopify even after following the steps in the reference doc above.

Does this give you & the community a better idea of the situation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @kunalshetty,

First, I would keep in mind the sync frequency of when data gets reflected in Klaviyo. In my experience, any updates to profile properties (name, email address, phone number, subscription statuses, and custom properties) in Klaviyo will take anywhere between 30-minutes to an hour. 

When you say you’re trying to “trying to add Shopify Tags to a customer profile” and “update this new Shopify Tag data back in Shopify” is your custom profile property happened to be named “Shopify Tag”? I will also point out, that custom profile properties that gets synced from Klaviyo back to Shopify, wouldn’t update what Shopify considers a “tag”. 

Instead, custom profile properties that are synced to Shopify from Klaviyo are created as metafields as called out in the How to sync data from Klaviyo to Shopify article you’ve referenced:

If you choose all profiles, Klaviyo will create new customers in Shopify for all profiles (existing and new) created in Klaviyo. This includes profiles synced from other Klaviyo integrations, or added through list imports, even if they have not interacted with your Shopify store.

If you’ve checked these areas, I would further suggest checking to see if there are any integration errors causing the sync to not be successful. One of the most common mistakes I’ve encountered when it comes to integration errors is trying to make updates without having the proper credentials/authorization. For example, if you don’t have the correct Shopify credentials or permission levels to make changes to your Shopify integrations, updating the Shopify integration settings within Klaviyo will cause some disruptions. 

David

Badge +1

Hey @David To, yes the custom profile property is named ‘Shopify Tags’ in Klaviyo & it’s the basic customer tags system that Shopify uses. (check image below)

I’m trying to update this in Klaviyo & then pass the data back to Shopify.

If I understand you correctly, you’re saying that it’s not possible to do natively in Klaviyo? 

The only other possible solution I can think of is using something like Make/Zapier to do this? Do you have any other alternatives?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @kunalshetty,

So this sounds like just a confusion between how data is synced from Klaviyo to Shopify as mentioned in both my previous point and the past Community posts @Brian Turcotte shared as an answer. I.E customer profile properties from Klaviyo are synced as metafields in Shopify not customer tags. 

Similar to what I mentioned prior in the first Community post Brian shared, in my experience, outside of using Make/Zapier, you could also potentially utilize Klaviyo’s Webhooks to achieve your goal. I would check out our Understanding webhooks in flows Help Center article to learn more about this function and see if it aligns with your goals. 

David