Solved

Bulk unsubscribe profiles from a list?

• 2 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have 2 lists for each language. Sometimes, subs update their language preferences (via Custom Profile Property), but Klaviyo obviously won't automatically move them to the other list.

Note, I don't want to "globally suppress them"; this would prevent profiles from receiving ANY emails… There's no way to do that for just one list?

I tried creating 2 segments: one for each language (i.e. custom property) set to the list in the other language. I don't see a way to use that segment (or a CSV export) as a way to bulk unsubscribe profiles from either list.

HELP! 😖

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 3 May 2024, 15:26

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Welcome to the community @Send-That-Email 

It may be possible to remove profiles from a list with a webhook in a flow. I do this for unsubscribing sunset contacts - different from your use case of list removal - but looks like the principle is the same.

However, from what you describe, it would require two webhooks: one to remove them from list A and one to add them to list B.

I've tried doing this with a webhook, but it's beyond my ability! It would be great if someone else here could comment. Here's a resource page on the subject: https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/reference/delete_list_relationships 

A possible consideration with the general approach is if you have flows triggering from these lists with the same content but in different languages. So, a contact subscribes to list A and receives that flow in language A then they switch to language B, get added to list B and receive the same content in language B. Also a consideration is if those lists are double opt-in.

An alternative approach that wouldn't require webhooks/list manipulation and avoids the above issues is to have one master list and use your custom property for language. 

Here's how that would work for your use case based on what you've shared:

• Your language custom property is on your sign-up forms and on the preferences page. You could also add links in your emails so they update their language preference via an update custom property.
  • Your campaign segments and flow filters would use the language custom property.
  • If you have a flow triggering on new members to your master list, you have both language emails at each step (see example below) and add an additional email filter to each for the language. for example 'Properties about someone language equals French', Properties about someone language equals German' etc. This will send the correct language email at each step based on their preference, even if they switch preferences during the flow.

Hope that helps but if I've misunderstood anything, please let me know

Regards

Andy