Skip to main content
Solved

collecting anonymous visitor emails using ai app

• 4 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi

We have been contacted by a few companies offering to install a code snippet on our website that collect anonymous visitor emails.

Does anybody familiar or tried this?

they claim this is legit in the us (as long as you include unsubscribe) and spam rate are low

not sure about this

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @lollygag

Do you mind sharing the names of the companies reaching out to you saying this is legal? I would always recommend doing research and consulting your legal counsel before trusting anyone else with these important decisions.

For instance, this goes against best practice which is emailing these anonymous visitors when they have not explicitly signed up for your brand’s marketing or purposefully interacted with your brand yet. While this is a gray area, it’s always best to think about the customer experience in every decision you make. For instance, would contacting these customers who chose to stay anonymous be the best experience and promote loyalty and return activity in the long run?

Hope this helps!

-Taylor 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I agree, i personally would hate getting email fraom brand i didnt sign into, maybe they think

that people forget. 

here are 2 examples of companies that contacted us:

blackcrow.ai  they have an app: https://apps.shopify.com/blackcrow

second one was: https://www.smartrecognition.com/

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

It’s true these kinds of tracking pixels are legal in the US, however, we strongly recommend against them because the risk to your domain reputation and deliverability is simply not worth it. I can totally understand how it might seem like a good shortcut to grow your list, but ultimately all you’re going to do is upset those people, hurt your brand, and get a ton of spam complaints.

Doing it the “hard” way might take longer, but you’ll be able to sleep really well at night knowing everyone on your list actually really wants to hear from you!