Solved

I can't segment profiles well by color variation or SKU.

• 17 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +3
  • Contributor III
  • 6 replies

I can't segment profiles well by color variation or SKU. "Ordered Product" is set up with color variations and SKUs, but it also sends different colors and SKUs. Is there a better way?

Even if I set the color variation to black and buy pink, I get an email here with the black segment.

icon

Best answer by David To 17 February 2022, 20:37

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @neko,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

I think this would really depend on how you have your catalog setup. Typically segmenting or filtering by SKU will offer you the most precise target for a specific product as Skus are typically unique for all products in your catalog. For example, if you have a T-shirt in both white and black, both of the t-shirts should have a different Sku distinguishing them. 

Do you happen to be self testing the flow and placing test orders? One thing to keep in mind is that changes made to a flow are not retroactive. What I see happen  often is users will make test orders while still making changes to a flow which causes some confusion on how the flow is setup. This is because users will be queued up for the flow as they trigger the event as the flow is setup. Periodically making changes immediately after placing test orders may lead to negative results. This is briefly explained in the How Contacts Move Through a Flow Help Center article.

I also suspect that your conditional split rule may be key player in your negative results when testing. Because you are using the rule “what someone has done, Ordered Product where Variation Option equals black equals 1 overall times”, users would only be navigated down the YES path if they have only purchased on product whose variant is black. This means that if they either purchased two product whose variant is black or historically has purchased more than one product whose variant is black, the recipient would be navigated down the NO path. To get a better understanding of flow and conditional splits, I would suggest taking a look at some of the below resources we offer on this topic:

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +3

Hello. @David To 

Glad to hear from you!
Thank you!

You gave me great advice and I tried it.
I tested it with segments by SKU.
I have not made any changes to the flow. I recreated the flow from scratch.
As you can see in the attached picture, I purchased a product with a different SKU, but it is still in this flow.
If you know how to fix this, please let me know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @neko,

Glad my previous advise was helpful!

Just to make sure you’re testing correctly, despite purchasing a product whose sku is not “58”, can you confirm if the profile/email you are testing with has not previously placed an order with a product whose sku is “58” or if so, can you confirm if they have purchased the product with sku “58” more than once? 

Based on how your flow is setup, if your test profile has triggered the Ordered Product event with a product whose sku is “58” once previously, your test profile will always be navigated down the YES path as I’ve previously mentioned. Users would only be navigated down the NO path for this conditional split if they have never triggered an Ordered Product event for this “58” product or have triggered the Ordered Product event multiple times for this “58” product. 

As mentioned prior, I suspect that the profile you may be testing with has previously made a purchase for this product whose sku is “58” only once. This would cause all of your subsequent tests to be navigated down the YES path as opposed to being evaluated down the NO path. 

If you were able to confirm that the profile you were testing with has never triggered the Ordered Product event for the “58” product or has previously triggered the Ordered Product for this “58” product multiple times, this would be an interesting case to bring up with our awesome Support Team to investigate further within your account! I think the rest of the Community would also benefit from hearing the results of what the cause of this would be when you receive an answer! 

David

Badge +3

I am very sorry for the delay in my reply.

I have checked to see if you have ever ordered an item with SKU "58" or if you have purchased an item with SKU "58" more than once. Since I may have added the SKU after I created the flow, it became possible that I may have purchased the product before adding the SKU as a test. When I purchased the product with SKU "60", the answer was "Yes" and the email was sent to me.
I also created another new flow. I also created a new flow, which went to "NO" after purchasing a product with SKU "60". Please refer to the attached capture image.
What was wrong with the flow for SKU "58"?

Badge +3

Hello. @David To 

Did you receive the contents of this message?

I'm sorry! I still don't understand the system of this community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @neko,

From what your describing it does sound like what I had suspected previously was the issue where the profile you were testing did indeed only purchased the sku product “58” only once. 

With your most recent test where your condition split read “Ordered product equals 1 overall times where Sku equals 59”, your test profile was brought down the NO path as it would mean your test profile either never purchased the product sku “59” or you’ve purchased this product whose sku is “59” multiple times. 

Overall, it sounds like there wasn’t anything wrong with your flow in the first place! Rather just a misunderstanding on the conditional split rule you are using. 

David

Badge +3

Hello. @David To 

Thank you.
I will try to set it up properly from the beginning again. I'll try again from the beginning and see if I can get the flow to work. I'll ask you again.