Solved

I was testing and tried subscribing with the same email address a few times, and it appears blocked.

• 31 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

I was testing and tried subscribing with the same email address a few times, and it appears blocked.

So when I try to test signing up, receiving the email confirmation, and initial email, etc., etc., after I entered the same email address a couple of time, I am not longer seeing that email address able to become subscribed, nor do I receive any emails from Klaviyo.

If Klaviyo is flagging these as spam, is there a way I get (from within my dashboard area) unmark them as spam so they will work again? If not, what can I do to correct this?

And, what can I do to use the same email address to register over and over for testing purposes? 

What can I do?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Gary

icon

Best answer by Omar 1 August 2023, 00:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Hey there!

One trick to get around testing your same email address is to apply a plus sign to your email.

For example:
Garymgordon@gmail.com becomes garymgordon+1@gmail.com 
or garmgordon+test@gmail.com

Anything you put after the plus become unique but is routed to your main email addresses inbox. Give that a test and should help with you testing re-opting into your forms but typically if a welcome series is triggered by joining a list, it won’t re-trigger every time someone fills out the form. It’ll be the first time they join the list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @garymgordon,

Adding onto @Spark Bridge Digital LLC’s great suggestion, depending on how often you’ve tested, you may have hit the list bombing prevention system in your account. 

This system is in place to alleviate any potentially malicious actors from spamming your account and filling them with bot email addresses. 

David

Badge +2

Hi and thanks.

1. But, if I use your technique, I won’t receive the emails back after subscribing since those aren’t my email address.  And part of the exercise is that I want to receive the emails back to confirm they look right. So how can I do this?
  2. I could understand that the user wouldn’t receive a welcome series of emails when they re-joining, UNLESS their original account was deleted first out of Klaviyo. This is why I deleted the account first, and then tried to resign up. So if I deleted the user from the list, and then re-join by filling out my form, they should receive the welcome series of emails, correct? If not, how can I get this to behave this way? If I deleted someone from Klaviyo and then they re-join again, I want them to receive all of the emails again. How can I get this to work this way?
  3. Now that Klaviyo apparently is blocking my email address because I tried to join too many times (I’m presuming), how can I fix this so I can re-join with that original email address?  I don’t see in my backend of Klaviyo as being blocked. How can Klaviyo fix this for me?

Gary

Badge +2

David,

Okay. But is there any way I can either white list an email address (so it doesn’t go into the list bombing system) or does the list bombing service reset after a while? Can I control any of this or access the email addresses or IPs that might be tagged as list bombing or anything else?

I’m currently on their free plan and can’t even email Klaviyo, which is a terrible way of doing business. But don’t get me started with that. 

What can I do in this situation?

Thanks for you help.

Gary

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

@garymgordon Don't forget, you can only subscribe once meaning that if you're already subscribed you can subscribe again unless you unsubscribe first. 

If you use Gmail indeed using a +something before the @gmail.com will allow you to use as many aliases as you wish for the same mailbox allowing you to test multiple subscriptions.
i.e. your@gmail.com your+2@gmail.com your+test3@gmail.com would all go to the same mailbox.

I really hope this helps

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO