Solved

Importing contacts from one list to another

• 6 September 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

I’m running an email competition at the moment, using a sign up form. The people that sign up are going into a list, which I will use to select a winner.

Once the competition is over, I’d like to import the people from that list into my main mailing list. Is the best way to do that by downloading the profiles as a csv and re-uploading into my main list? If so, how do I ensure all profiles are GDPR compliant? I have some profiles that say true or false next to ‘Accepts marketing’ but others are left blank. Help!

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 7 September 2021, 18:13

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Stephlittles

Thanks for sharing your question with the Community! 

What a great idea to gain subscribers! Yes, it is very easy to Create and Add Contacts to a New List from another List!

On the other hand, there is really no way to ensure your profiles are GDPR compliant unless specially asked. For our EU users, DGPR asks for explicit consent from users at various, granular levels. For this reason, Klaviyo has created a guide on Creating a GDPR Compliant Form, different than our normal forms. The ‘Accepts Marketing’ tag you see on profiles is not a GDPR compliant tag, but a Shopify profile property. It is applied to a profile when they click the ‘We want receive emails/newsletter updates’ box in Shopify’s checkout and forms, however, does not go into the details and explicit consent GDPR requires.

As GDPR is very serious and it is critical to operate above board in its guidelines, I would recommend starting your email competition over and using a GDPR compliant form so profiles will explicitly say how they do and don’t want to hear from you. This ensures you are only contacting users on their terms. I know you have already started the competition and might be wondering what’s feasible to do with the information you’ve already collected, I suggest talking to their legal representative.

The information provided is intended to be educational and should not be construed as legal advice. Klaviyo encourages all of our customers — and all ecommerce merchants — to seek legal advice for counsel on how they specifically should ensure that they are GDPR compliant. 

If you have additional questions on what it means to be GDPR compliant, check out our FAQ about GDPR on the Help Center. 

Thanks for being a part of the Community! 

-Taylor