Solved

Mailchimp not importing signup date data

• 20 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have a mailchimp audience and I only want to import one particular segment of this audience (only subscribed emails from one website source).   I’ve tried to use the integration for this and, because the segment is not a audience with audience ID, I don’t see how I can import only the one mailchimp segment.    I’ve downloaded a CSV of the segment and imported but it does not maintain the sign-up date/time data, which I would like to have, as opposed to 1100 listings all listed as joined on today.   Can someone please let me know the most optimal way on importing this segment while maintaining good data.   I tried splitting the Time/Date column in google sheets but it still didn’t show proper opt-in date in Klaviyo listing.   Thanks!

icon

Best answer by snoogs 26 March 2024, 14:56

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@snoogs 

Yeah Klaviyo is a bit specific when uploading lists with dates.. so you will have to format it in one of the acceptable formats and then upload as date property in klaviyo (not a list that is usually basic for new properties when uploading)

Here is article explaining what are the acceptable date formats https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005253428

The main issue is for me at least most of the times i have dates with dots for example 03.23.2024 but klaviyo doesn’t accepts it with dots so it has to be for example 03-23-2024 or 03/23/2024

Badge

Hmm, Mailchimp seems to already export in an acceptable Klaviyo format.   Perhaps I’m cataloging it in the wrong place, the only Klaviyo category that made sense to me is $consent_timestamp.   Is that the wrong place to put it? Do I need to create a new Klaviyo category?   It’d just be nice to maintain when they subscribed as I transition to Klaviyo.   Thank you @Bobi N.!

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@snoogs 

I don’t know how Klaviyo looks at consent timestamp at the end but I think that is property more for legal purposes than for use in email marketing.. in klaviyo you are adding profiles now so because of that the day when you add them is the date when they will be considered as created profiles in Klaviyo. But if you want to use that date for segmentation or something similar in the future, if consent timestamp is not available option for choosing you can add those date in a new property and use that one for segmentation..

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @snoogs, jumping in here to clarify: I hear you only want to import one segment from Mailchimp which wasn’t possible with the integration, but did you try importing all your subscriber data this way? Klaviyo should maintain the proper subscription status and data accordingly. 

I’m wondering if just doing it all via the integration will solve your problem rather than trying to cherry pick which contacts you do and don’t import. 

Badge

@kaila.lawrence It was a massive rollercoaster of trying to get the integration to import a specific segment from mailchimp that ultimately failed.    I created a new audience in mailchimp out of the segment I wanted to transfer to Klaviyo because you need a specific API key to import a specific audience through integration.    So after hours of getting that set up it all integrated as unsubscribed.   

So I ended up integrating Shopify and importing via CSV the subscribed audience, that way I could select “all imports subscribed” and they would show up that way.   The good news is that Shopify integration was able to sync and recognized that CSV import and link to those who had purchased, which is ultimately what I wanted in the first place!

My advice to those reading this is forget about the mailchimp integration and export manual only subscribed users and then you can keep them all safely subscribed.   Thanks for you help!