Solved

New Shopify newsletter subscribers not syncing on Newsletter list

• 3 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi there, 

Hope you are well and safe. I have recently synced Shopify with Klaviyo by following the instructions found online. Within the integrations> Shopify section I have clicked the option “Subscribe contacts who opt-in via Shopify, such as during checkout or with a Shopify footer form. Please see below:

With this option clicked, I would expect to have any new subscriber who signs-up through the Shopify footer form automatically added on my Newsletter list. However, it does not seem to be the case. I have tested with a testing account and the email address that I use to sign-up on Shopify goes straight on to the Profiles section in Klaviyo but it does not get automatically added on the Newsletter list. 

I have been reading on these forums and it seems that the most common reason why this happen is having double opt-in enabled. I can confirm this is not my case because I have selected single opt-in for testing purposes.

I have also read that for those people who use a 3rd party Shopify theme, there needs to be a little snippet of code added on the HTML of the page but I assume this shouldn’t be the case here because my theme is Shopify not 3rd party.

If someone could shed some light here, it would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks, 

Carlota

icon

Best answer by Dov 5 April 2021, 17:49

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +34

Hi @Carlota,

Another thing I’ve noticed that can block Shopify footer forms from routing to a Klaviyo list is if you are switching from MailChimp to Klaviyo. There is a setting within Shopify where you direct your Shopify forms to a list in MailChimp. You will need to remove the MailChimp list from that setting and then the Klaviyo integration setting that routes opt ins at checkout to a Klaviyo list should take over. 

I hope this helps!

Julie

Badge +2

Thank you Julie! We are not switching from MailChimp so that’s not our case :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Carlota,

Thanks so much for sharing the steps that you did take already, and exploring the Community for some solutions.

You mentioned that you tested this list subscription with a test account - just out of curiosity, is this a new test account you are using, or a profile that might already be captured in your account? We recommend that when you test emails, be sure to append with a “+test” at the end of your email. For example, yourname+1@gmail.com or youremail+formtest@gmail.com.

I would also verify that your test email address contains a custom property “Shopify Tags” with the value of “Newsletter”, after filling the Shopify form. This is required to subscribe them to the list. 

Can you please attach a screenshot of your profile inside of Klaviyo and a screenshot of the embed form in question? Please exclude any sensitive information like your email address, other email addresses and any names.

Thanks, and looking forward to your reply.

Badge +2

Hi Dov, 

Hope you are well and thank you for your assistance! I was trying a personal testing email address that I have to be able to also test the double opt-in and the confirmation email address. 

I have followed your advice and done a couple of tests with the email address myname+1@gmail.com and I can now see the email addresses added on both the profile and the newsletter section. I can also see that you’ve done a couple of tests and I can confirm that the test email addresses have also been added on the profiles and the Newsletter too. I can also see that they have the Shopify tag on.

I’m not entirely sure why it wasn’t working a couple of days ago as I have changed anything. The real testing email address I used to sign-up it is not working now though but I wonder if it is because I deleted the profile from Klaviyo. Anyway, at least I can see that the forms and integration is working as expected! :)