Solved

Should I add a custom property for different currency profiles?

• 14 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi everyone, 

I have a bilingual store (french/english) and I sell in Canada and US. I have a shopify store and my currency is USD. I think that’s why all my flows take for granted that people will pay in USD no matter where they come from. 

I think that’s a problem for me because, as an example, when my email subscribers receive a message, they see the USD price. I don’t want that for my Canadian customers. 

Maybe that is not happening and Klaviyo is a beast and understand, but I want to be sure. So, should I do something or it’s already being take care of automatically? 

icon

Best answer by Dov 15 November 2021, 19:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @ArtifulBoutique,

Thank you for sharing this question with the Klaviyo community.

In short, Klaviyo won’t detect nor convert any one currency to another. So whichever currency (and price) the user is checking out with on the site, will be the currency (and price) that will be reflected in your Klaviyo emails. Therefore, every Canadian who is checking out on your website in USD, (and placing their orders in USD), will see the USD price in the Klaviyo emails. Additionally, Klaviyo does not support multi-currencies dynamically in emails, and we do not have a way to display the currency based on what the customer selected (say even if you added a CAD option on your store). Shopify only passes a single currency value when sending order-related data to Klaviyo.

Instead, I recommend you set up a separate Klaviyo account and connect it to a Canadian version of your website for Canadian shoppers only (look into connecting multiple Klaviyo accounts under a single email address here). This is the “cleanest” solution because all prices in your Canadian store will be in CAD and all of that information will be relayed to Klaviyo in CAD. Also, Klaviyo will allow you to adjust the default prefix for your account. This is literally just changing the symbol that appears before the price, it does not convert or change any currency value (as I mentioned previously). By default, the Klaviyo account default prefix for prices is USD, you can simply change the prefix in that Canadian account from USD → CAD and everything will work a-ok.  Here is our guide on changing currency prefixes. Also, the prefix within a template will not automatically change when the symbol is changed on an account level, so for any existing emails in an account, you would have to change the currency on a template-by-template basis. The guide to achieve that can be found here.

I hope that’s helpful and thanks for being a member of our community.

Badge +2

I’m running into this issue as well. Is this something that will be addressed in the future? Setting up a second Klaviyo account would be a big lift for me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Stacey B.,

Outside of setting up a second Klaviyo account to utilize and display a different currency, this can be achieved if you’re using Shopify Markets. Shopify Markets allows merchants to set up, launch, optimize, and manage your international Markets all in one account. 

I would suggest reviewing the Medium article on this topic to learn how to set this up if you were using Shopify Markets: Deep Dive: How to integrate Shopify Markets with Klaviyo.

If you wern’t using Shopify Markets you’ll be tasked with distinguishing your customer’s location and curating different experiences for each customer groups. You’ll also have to ensure you have a secondary custom catalog setup to ensure the product details are pulled with accurate pricing. 

@alex.hong also shared some thoughts on this subject in Community post I included below:

You may also find some solutions in the below discussion helpful to read through too!

David