Solved

When to use ANd / OR in engagement segment

• 28 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

I have read through several examples of engagement segments where show using OR in many cases which was always adouble negative sittation - doesn’t combine all - so if they failed on opened email it would fail on  OR clicked 
what is correct definition to use?

Thanks

Darleen

icon

Best answer by Kylie W 28 June 2023, 08:39

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @DarleenW 

Thank you for your question and asking the Klaviyo Community 😊

For segments, the ability to use AND / OR is really powerful and the outcome of using these is vastly different depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Here is an example I have.

• Mike was active on the website in June and last opened an email in Jan
  • Sally open and email in June and clicked on a link in that email in June and was active on site in June
  • Brad was last on the site in Feb and opened an email in March

If my Engaged 3month Segment was created with the following conditions (has been active on site in last 3months OR has been opened email in the last 3 months OR has clicked on email in last 3 months).
- Then only Mike and Sally would be in the segment because they have meet at least one of the conditions and within the last 3 months.

If my Engaged 3month Segment was created with the following conditions (has been active on site in last 3months AND has been opened email in the last 3 months AND has clicked on email in last 3 months).
- Then only Sally would be in the segment because she meets all conditions within the last 3 months.

Using AND means they customer must meet all AND statements with each other. Using OR, means they must meet either statement, in other words, at least one.

Hopefully this helps! If not, please feel free to send through an example and I can try and clarifiy it for you.

Kylie