Solved

Why isn't my flow sending to everyone in my segment?

Badge +2

Hi! 

I have created a Segment where about 7,000 subscribers got in. I used this Segment to trigger my Newsletter flow. However, when emails were sent and I get to check the analytics, only 1,000+ emails were delivered. 

Can someone please tell me why it wasn’t delivered to all 7,000+ segment subscribers? This goes the same as the next emails on the flow. The Delivered number just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Here’s for the last email that is in that flow:

Only 137 were delivered, 482 waiting to be delivered. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong. I already back-populated the flow. Will that help? All I want is for the 7,000 subscribers to receive all the emails I have prepared in the Newsletter flow.

Someone help please! Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 28 January 2022, 17:54

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @mermaidzeli

Thanks for sharing your question with the Community! 

Do you mind sharing what were the conditions for your Segment connected to this Newsletter Flow? When you connect a ‘Newsletter’ or ‘Welcome’ Flow to a Segment, one should be aware that the nature of a segment is to dynamically pull anyone who meets the conditions at the present. Depending on the segment criteria, a user could qualify for a Segment at one moment and not the next based on an action they took that disqualified them.

It is also important to note that Segment-Triggered Flows do not send everyone in the segment through the Flow immediately upon the creation of the Flow. It is only triggered to send someone through the Flow if they are added, or new, to the segment after you create the Flow. These 1,000+ users are probably new to the segment and are why they are the only profiles to go through at present.  

You were correct in thinking that you would need to Back-Populate Your Flow in order to retroactively send everyone through the Flow. Since you have recently clicked the ‘Back-Populate’ button, what option did you choose for your back-population and since then do you see the 7k + filtering into the Flow? If not, I would Back-Populate relative to the moment when you click the “Back-Populate” button. This will capture your entire segment and push them through the Flow vs. scheduling the Back-Populating back to a specific time frame as this will only capture users in the segment who joined around that designated time. Additionally, Back-populating will not cause users to receive the same email twice, users can only go through a Segment-Triggered Flow once.

It’s also important to note that in Segments there can be a delay of up to 1 hour before Klaviyo “processes” that the subscriber is eligible to enter the Segment based on the Segment's definitions, so if you don’t see your segment automatically updating and a user receiving the Flow email in mind, this is the reason. 

I would suggest checking out questions that other fellow users had on Segment-Triggered Flows to gain further insight into this topic. 

Thanks for sharing your question with the Community! 

-Taylor 

It’s also important to note that in Segments there can be a delay of up to 1 hour before Klaviyo “processes” that the subscriber is eligible to enter the Segment based on the Segment's definitions, so if you don’t see your segment automatically updating and a user receiving the Flow email in mind, this is the reason. 

An hour?! I’m sitting here wasting so much time troubleshooting something and then I find out it takes an hour?!

@Taylor Tarpley This above information is exactly the kind of (infuriating) missing detail in the help docs. This very critical tidbit should be added to this article: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003040052-Guide-to-Creating-a-Segment-Triggered-Flow

Why should I have to read help docs and also peruse this board for the REAL facts I need? I mean, I appreciate that the answer is here, but why isn’t it in the help docs? I’ve spent over an hour troubleshooting something that’s NOT BROKEN (as per your delay).

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JimmieaQuick

Sorry for the frustration you’ve been experiencing, I appreciate your feedback! 

I should have linked the Help Center Article, How Segments Update in Real Time, which is where I pulled the above information from. To clarify, our segments typically update in real time, however, if there is a high volume of segmentation requests across our customer base then you might see delays up to an hour. However, you will not always be waiting for an hour for a segment to update, I was giving another possible explanation as to why the previous user’s flow hadn’t pushed new people who were added to their segment. 

I will pass along this info along to our docs team! Can you confirm that the hour delay was the reason for a delay in your flow and now all users in your segment have more through your flow? 

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Community!

-Taylor 

Yes, confirming. My flow and segment were set up correctly. The issue was the hour delay. @Taylor Tarpley 

If I had known there could be up to an hour delay, I would not have spent time troubleshooting and second guessing myself. For an hour.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Thank you for sharing this with me! 

As mentioned, I will refer this to our docs team and thank you for sharing your experience openly in the Community as I’m sure this will help others in the future when it coming to troubleshooting this issue!

-Taylor 

@Taylor Tarpley 
Since there’s such a potential delay on flows triggered by segments, can you tell me what is the most INSTANT way to trigger a flow so I can avoid this delay? I’ve got to set something up for a live event, and the email send has to be immediate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JimmieaQuick

Depending on the nature of your message, you could send your segment a campaign message if you want to immediately alert them with certain content. However, there is no way to avoid this possible delay as this deals with the way Klaviyo process segmentation requests across our entire customer base as a whole. Do you mind sharing the nature of the live event and the flow messages so I can see if theres another potential workaround for you?

Thank you!

[I didn’t get a notification that you replied/tagged me @Taylor Tarpley . Came over to look and found it.]

Folks in booth sign up to get unique coupon code delivered via email. (I already know how to to the coupon set up. My question is about the lag between sign up and email firing.) We want them to get the coupon IMMEDIATELY so that they can, if desired, place their online order right there in the booth with customer service assistance in customizing their package.

If there’s a potential hour delay, this will not work. 

What if a flow is triggered by adding to a new LIST instead of a segment? Will that trigger immediately? If that’s what it takes, I will use a new LIST instead of creating segment of existing list. 

Please tell me what triggers immediately and I will use that.

(And sending a campaign after the fact, yeah, of course, I can do that. But the point is we want an immediate email upon request at any minute of any day that someone is in that booth. We can’t be manually sending emails. That totally defeats the purpose of having an EMS anyway.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JimmieaQuick

Glad you found my response so we could further this conversation and find a solution! I’m glad you shared more about the intent of this flow so we could find a potential solution for you! Yes, you’re list-triggered flow idea  would be best in this scenario. I would ensure the list connected to your flow is set to single opt-in, so users don’t need to confirm their email again to receive the discount email. 

It should be noted that contacts can only receive a list-triggered flow once. If someone is removed from a list and then re-added to that same list, they will not re-trigger the flow. Additionally, only new contacts will be automatically scheduled to receive the flow. To schedule the flow for contacts already on your list, you will need to back-populate your flow.

Finally, as a reminder, whenever sending any email, the time it takes for a recipient to receive that email is also dependent on their inbox provider. Klaviyo is only the sending service, not the delivery agent of emails, that is entirely up to the inbox provider to determine the speed and whether an email is received, and where it lands in the inbox. However with that being said, I still believe that your list-triggered flow is the best process in this scenario!

-Taylor 

I appreciate this, @Taylor Tarpley .

Understood on all the caveats.

Isn’t single/double opt-in set at the account level? Or is that set at list level? This account is already single opt-in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @JimmieaQuick

Of course! Happy to help! Opt-in settings are set up on a list level. For instance, to enable Single Opt-In for a given list:

1. Click into the list you want to edit
  2. Select Settings
  3. Check the box next to Single opt-in
  4. Click Update List Settings

The below image is found on the List Settings page.

-Taylor