Solved

How can I translate sign up form validation messages?

• 25 February 2021
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’m looking for a way to translate validation messages used in sign up forms.

The Language of the list is set to Polish but despite that the validation messages, like: “This field is required” or “Please enter a valid email address”  are presented in English and I’m unable to locate settings to either set them to Polish or translate.

Please kindly advise.

icon

Best answer by David To 6 June 2021, 16:38

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi there,

Please check out our Help Center article, How to Customize Content Based on Language (the section I’ve linked describes how to change the language of the validation messages).

Hope this helps.

Best,

Caroline

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Caroline,

As per my original question, I already did what you suggested - set the language of the list to translate the items which are translated only by your system. Despite doing so, the validation messages are still displayed in English.

Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems to me, that validation msg are controlled only by the list’s language settings only. 

I set a few different languages as the list’s language to test if it has any influence on the validation’s messages displayed in the submission form, but it makes no difference - those are always displayed in English.

Should I recreate a submission form so it picks up the correct language settings?

Please kindly advise.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi there,

Changing the list’s language settings should change the language of the opt-in messages for the form. Have you double-checked that you are changing the language settings of the list connected to the form?

Best,

Caroline

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes, I would not be posting without double checking it.

What works:

• general unsubscribes page for a list - respects language settings for  buttons etc. and validation messages.

What is not working

• sign up form validation messages are always displayed in English, regardless of the language settings of the list. I tested it with a combination of existing and new forms and lists.

I’d love to get it working as validation messages are important factor when it comes to the rate of successful sign-ups.

Thanks.

Peter

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Peter,

What type of signup form are you using (i.e. embed, popup, fly-out)?

Thanks,

Caroline

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Additionally, could you post a screenshot of the signup form text which is still appearing in English? If you’re able to PM me the list ID as well I can take a look.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Peter,

I’ve checked with our signup forms team and unfortunately list settings do not impact signup forms; the settings only impact the unsubscribe and manage preferences pages associated with that list. I am happy to pass this product feedback along to their team.

Best,

Caroline

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for the info. This is very unfortunate, as the sign up forms are the basis of your product. I hope this gets fixed pretty soon as there is nothing worse as partially translated strings. This reflects badly both on the website where the form is embedded but also on the product itself.

Thanks for bringing it up to the dev team.

On the other note. I’m creating a consent form. I want to have a checkbox with a label which includes a link to the privacy policy. From what I see the label field is not rendering HTML. How this can be achieved?

I declare that I have read <a href="#somelink">Regulations of the online shop</a> and I accept its terms and conditions

I really hope this is achievable in a nice way. I don’t want to add it as a regular text underneath the checkbox.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi there,

I definitely understand your frustration there and am similarly hopeful that this issue will be prioritized. Your product feedback is very helpful for our team.

Can you provide a screenshot of the rendered text? One thing I would try is surrounding the text with <p> or some other text element, but I might have additional suggestions once I can see what the text looks like when rendered.

Best,

Caroline

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
As you can see label field is sanitizing all characters as plain text. I think limited, basic tags should be allowed to be rendered as HTML.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I understand your question now.

Unfortunately, that label field only allows text, not HTML. However, I am happy to pass this feedback along to our product team as well.

Best,

Caroline

Badge +4

Hello, I am quite late to the discussion, but I have a similar problem. I would like to translate This field is required to something in my language: Slovenian.

I switched the language to Slovenian. This is an embedeed signup form. 

If Klaviyo need a Slovenian value I will gladly provide one :).

I encountered the same problem in Abandoned cart flow, where I can’t find a way to translate values like quantity and Cost.

I hope there is a way to solve this.

Best regards,
Iztok 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Iztok,

Those fields you are highlighting with the message of “This field is required” is actually hard coded into all Klaviyo signup forms as English and is currently not adjustable to displayed in a different language.

That said, I know that @julie.accardo has submitted a feature request to the Klaviyo Product Team to consider as a future iteration to allow these error messages to be translated. Julie has also brought up a great work around of using custom/legacy forms built on HTML to counteract this in the Community post below:

Additional resources that may be helpful in building out your own custom signup form would be the following articles:

Hope this helps!

David

Badge +4

Hi, David, many thanks for this.

Should I follow the same procedure fixing the problem below too? Encircled are translated values by default for I can’t seem to find an editor.

Thanks again

Iztok

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Iztok,

Thanks for providing that screenshot! Since the email/template you are referencing is the Email Confirmation, also known as the double opt-in confirmation email, the language for this email would be controlled by the list setting that this email is linked to. You can update your list’s language setting my navigating to the list and going into Settings near the top as detailed in the How to Customize Content Based on Language article. 

Also, keep in mind that since the double opt-in email confirmation email pertains to one’s consent, certain elements in that email cannot be edited as I’ve elaborated on in the following Community Post:

David

We have the same problem for French language! Could you update us please? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @jeandevesvrotte,

At present we don’t have any updates available regarding the product enhancement feature request made by @julie.accardo to allow more customization in the error messages of the signup form. When any updates do become available, we’ll share them in this Community post to inform other Community members who may be following along. 

Have a great day!

David

Badge +1

I need this too pls. Customized error messages for sign up popups pls. THX

Badge +2

This is a really important feature, please don’t forget it.

Badge +1

Hi there:

Any updates so far to be able to translate forms error messages?

Kind regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Manu Segarra,

We currently do not have any available updates on this product enhancement to translate the form error messages. We highly appreciate the patience as our product team continues to makes add improvements to Klaviyo. 

We’ll be sure to provide an update in this thread with any news we receive from our internal teams!

Thanks for being a member of our Klaviyo Community and for patience!

David

Badge +2

Waiting to Portuguese/Brazilian translation.

Badge +1

Hi, David, many thanks for this.

Should I follow the same procedure fixing the problem below too? Encircled are translated values by default for I can’t seem to find an editor.

Thanks again

Iztok

Hello!
This is just insane. I am sorry for the language, but I am really frustrated after I realized that those values cannot be edited. English language is not the only language used in the world, but the Klaviyo tech guys seems don’t to be aware of that. Going to look out for another software with more editable language translation settings.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Kongamato9,

Apologies for your frustration regarding our current limitation to edit and translate those fields. I’ll ensure your feedback is heard and pass it to our Product Team to continue exploring implementing this product enhancement. 

David

Badge +1

Hey @Kongamato9,

Apologies for your frustration regarding our current limitation to edit and translate those fields. I’ll ensure your feedback is heard and pass it to our Product Team to continue exploring implementing this product enhancement. 

David

Hi, David! 
Thank you for reply. 
I have decided to give myself a one more try with Klaviyo. 
Hope the things will work out well. 

I found errors in Korean language translation on this page. 
Would it be possible to change it from the backend, if I provide the correct version of the text?

Thank you.