Solved

Email Usage Limit and Plan Questions

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi there,

In the account settings, I see that we have more profiles than our current email plan. I don’t know how to interpret this “overage” in practical terms though. For instance, if I try to send a campaign to a segment with 1000 profiles, would those emails be sent without an issue? Or will only a portion of those be sent? Does the limit only apply to campaigns that need to go to more than 2500 profiles? I would appreciate if someone could explain, or point me to any documentation with details.

Thanks, -oo

icon

Best answer by David To 22 July 2021, 21:11

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Doubleo 

Thanks for your question in the Community and I’d be happy to provide some insight!

Klaviyo charges based on active, email-able profiles. On your current plan you do not have any monthly sending limits, but your campaigns can only be sent to the maximum list size that matches your plan level, in this case 2500 emails. Since your plan is for 2500 active profiles, you can send up to 2500 profiles in one campaign send, but do not have any cap on total sends between flows and campaigns in any given billing cycle.

We will never make changes to your account so if you ever choose to upgrade or downgrade, you will need to do that manually. Instructions for that can be found here.

Additionally, here are some great Community posts with similar inquiries about email plans and sending!

Please let us know if you have any further questions about this!

Alex

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@alex.hong thanks for the response and read the other posts. I think I get it, but it’s a bit confusing still. What you’re saying sounds like no matter how many profiles we have, as long as our campaigns are limited to what our plan is, we’ll be fine.

If I’m understanding you correctly in this table below, “people” refers to number of people you can email at a time, not profiles. Is that correct?

If that is correct why is “number of contacts” even mentioned then (see Klaviyo statement below). How does that play into the cost? Shouldn’t it just state the number of emails instead? Or “people” as in the table?
Klaviyo email plans are determined by the number of contacts in your account and the number of emails you send out each month.

Also, I still don’t understand what happens if you “try” to send to more emails than your plan. Let’s say you have a 2,500 emails limit. And schedule a campaign to go out to 4000 people. Does the campaign “freeze” after 2,500 emails are sent until you change your plan? Do we get a notification email? Do the emails get sent and we get a “warning”

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to wait for your response so I ended up upgrading our plan for no reason. And we just sent our first campaign. Bummer, since Klaviyo doesn’t offer any refunds.

Thanks again. Your follow-up will be greatly appreciated.

-oo

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Doubleo,

Your understanding there is correct. You can have more than the number of supported profiles/contacts within your Klaviyo account; however you would primarily be limited to your plan’s number of supported profile/contacts within your campaign sends. 

To add to the great details that @alex.hong already provided the use of “people” and ”profiles” are synonymous with each other and mean the same thing. Each contact/person you have in your Klaviyo account will have a “profile” within Klaviyo. This means that from the screenshot example provided, the $60 a month plan would limit you to a maximum of 2,500 recipients within a single campaign; even if you had 5,000 profiles within your Klaviyo account. I would also suggest taking a look at the Understanding Who Is in Your Account Help Center Article to further understand how profiles/contacts are accumulated within your account.

Also, when you attempt to send a campaign whose recipient count surpasses your plan limit, Klaviyo will actually prevent your campaign from sending and display a warning message during the final step of the campaign creation during the schedule/send section. Klaviyo’s warning message will indicate that you do not have a plan to sufficiently sent to these recipients and prompt you to upgrade your account to increase your plan’s threshold prior to sending.

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Hi guys,

I also have the same question. In case I want to divide my campaign into 2 smaller campaigns, is this the good way to reach out all of my profiles.

For example, as @Doubleo , I have total 4800 contacts which has been over my plan limit (2500). So, I would like to reach out to all of 4800 contact by 4 campaigns.

I divide my total database into 4 segments (1200 contacts in each of them) and set-up 4 different campaigns to send out

My question: Will they be sent to 4800 contacts within 4 campaigns? With this way, I do not need to upgrade my email plan :grinning:?

Thank You & Best Regards

Hi there,

In the account settings, I see that we have more profiles than our current email plan. I don’t know how to interpret this “overage” in practical terms though. For instance, if I try to send a campaign to a segment with 1000 profiles, would those emails be sent without an issue? Or will only a portion of those be sent? Does the limit only apply to campaigns that need to go to more than 2500 profiles? I would appreciate if someone could explain, or point me to any documentation with details.

Thanks, -oo

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Luke Ho

Welcome to the Community! 

Yes, you are in your limit as David explained earlier. You can send 4 successful campaigns to those smaller segments of 1200 profiles and still be in your limit because the total number of recipients isn’t your max limit of 2500. Your billing limit is based upon how many active profiles/recipients you include in a campaign send. For instance, you will not be able to send a campaign over 2,501 people. However, you could send a campaign to 2,490 people and still be in your plan.

Hello @Doubleo,

Each contact/person you have in your Klaviyo account will have a “profile” within Klaviyo. This means that from the screenshot example provided, the $60 a month plan would limit you to a maximum of 2,500 recipients within a single campaign; even if you had 5,000 profiles within your Klaviyo account. I would also suggest taking a look at the Understanding Who Is in Your Account Help Center Article to further understand how profiles/contacts are accumulated within your account.

I would ensure that each segment holds different users and there is not overlap to ensure you’re sending to your total 4,800 active profiles you want to include in your campaign. While you don’t have to upgrade your billing plan this way, I would noted that it might make tracking campaign success and analytics more complicated in the future! 

Thanks for being a part of the Community! 

Best,

Taylor 

Badge +2

Hello @Doubleo,

Your understanding there is correct. You can have more than the number of supported profiles/contacts within your Klaviyo account; however you would primarily be limited to your plan’s number of supported profile/contacts within your campaign sends. 

To add to the great details that @alex.hong already provided the use of “people” and ”profiles” are synonymous with each other and mean the same thing. Each contact/person you have in your Klaviyo account will have a “profile” within Klaviyo. This means that from the screenshot example provided, the $60 a month plan would limit you to a maximum of 2,500 recipients within a single campaign; even if you had 5,000 profiles within your Klaviyo account. I would also suggest taking a look at the Understanding Who Is in Your Account Help Center Article to further understand how profiles/contacts are accumulated within your account.

Also, when you attempt to send a campaign whose recipient count surpasses your plan limit, Klaviyo will actually prevent your campaign from sending and display a warning message during the final step of the campaign creation during the schedule/send section. Klaviyo’s warning message will indicate that you do not have a plan to sufficiently sent to these recipients and prompt you to upgrade your account to increase your plan’s threshold prior to sending.

I hope this helps!

David

Hi @Luke Ho

Welcome to the Community! 

Yes, you are in your limit as David explained earlier. You can send 4 successful campaigns to those smaller segments of 1200 profiles and still be in your limit because the total number of recipients isn’t your max limit of 2500. Your billing limit is based upon how many active profiles/recipients you include in a campaign send. For instance, you will not be able to send a campaign over 2,501 people. However, you could send a campaign to 2,490 people and still be in your plan.

Hello @Doubleo,

Each contact/person you have in your Klaviyo account will have a “profile” within Klaviyo. This means that from the screenshot example provided, the $60 a month plan would limit you to a maximum of 2,500 recipients within a single campaign; even if you had 5,000 profiles within your Klaviyo account. I would also suggest taking a look at the Understanding Who Is in Your Account Help Center Article to further understand how profiles/contacts are accumulated within your account.

I would ensure that each segment holds different users and there is not overlap to ensure you’re sending to your total 4,800 active profiles you want to include in your campaign. While you don’t have to upgrade your billing plan this way, I would noted that it might make tracking campaign success and analytics more complicated in the future! 

Thanks for being a part of the Community! 

Best,

Taylor 

Hey Guys,

Would it limit our flows? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Bibek

Thanks  for haring your question with us! 

Yes, this applies to flows as well as flow messages are considered ‘email sends’ in the way Klaviyo billing, explained below. 

Klaviyo's billing structure for email is based on two criteria:

1. The number of contacts in your account
  2. The number of emails you send during the month

Thanks for you participation in the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +2

Hey @Taylor Tarpley 

Thank you for your response!

I have another question! My 

Current Month's Usage is

2348 of 1500 active emailable profiles 157% Usage. I don't understand it. 

Is my flows are active? It seems like people are getting flows emails but on the other hand I don’t see any sales from the emails from few days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Bibek

If you reach your sending limit, your messages won’t turn from ‘Live’ from ‘Draft’, but they will not send to who they should send to. We want to make sure your email sending is not interrupted. If you reach 100% of your account’s limit, email flows and scheduled campaigns will automatically stop sending until the beginning of next month. 

For your question about active emailable profiles, which billing tier degree your account is in, there is an allotted amount of  emailable profiles and sending limit to every tier. Technically, you have gone beyond the amount of active (meaning non-suppressed) profiles your tier is allowed to have. However, you can have more active profiles in your account, without being prompted to upgrade your account. It is only if you send more emails then your allowed to per billing cycle, that you are prevented from sending further messages and prompted to upgrade. 

Thanks for sharing your question with us! 

-Taylor 

I will be moving all my business off of Klaviyo in coming days. I have sent out 2 separate tickets to hopefully resolve this. There are other better reviewed and cheaper competitors who offer unrestricted emails. When you look at  a Shopify 3rd party top 15 email app options list, I am most likely going with their second favored competitor while Klaviyo has dropped to number 7. I am quite shocked at this. This unrestricted email feature seems to be a standard still. I understand the top goal of what Klaviyo is trying to accomplish but it will hold back my business.  This new restriction has opened up my eyes to the newer and improved competition which also showcases how far back Klaviyo has dropped just like Aweber and MailChimp.  I have loved Klaviyo over the last 2 years but this is restriction is an absolute business killer for me.