Solved

Updating DNS records

• 28 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I’m looking for advice re: the timing of updating DNS records when migrating from a different ESP over to Klaviyo. Is it safe to update my DNS records and verify a new domain PRIOR to the final transition? Will that impact any emails being sent from my old ESP? How critical is it to begin sending emails from Klaviyo immediately after the DNS records have been updated?

I’ve received conflicting information from two very trusted sources.

icon

Best answer by David To 29 May 2021, 14:46

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @SherylBiesman,

Welcome to Klaviyo!

Since you are switching to Klaviyo from a previous ESP, I would recommend updating your DNS records and verifying the new domain with a dedicated sending domain after you’ve fully transitioned to Klaviyo. Trying to update your DNS records and verifying it prior to fully transitioning to Klaviyo may cause emails sent from your previous ESP to be considered as suspicious due to the inbox providers seeing this misalignment of records. 

After transitioning to Klaviyo and having your records updated and the dedicated sending domain setup and verified; sending emails from Klaviyo would be crucial as part of its warming process. @wei.he has some great Community posts on this subject which I’ve linked below:

Hope this helps and thanks for being a member of the Klaviyo Community!

David

Badge +1

Double-clicking on this, @david.to, when updating your DNS records, do you need to also make sure that subdomain is an active “email address”? I’m testing out switching ours from hello@ to yes@ but now, recipients are getting bounded when replying to the yes@ sender email. 

“Your message wasn't delivered to yes@xyz.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.”

Is it as simple as just adding a yes@ email handle to our email admin? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @justin_9a,

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, this must be a valid email address!