Solved

Bounce rate increasing exponentially?

• 21 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hello,

We’ve implemented a dedicated domain and a dedicated ip address, and we’re having a wild amount of email bounces for engaged customers — below you can find the bounce specifics:

Klaviyo bounce category: Invalid Sending Address

$bounce_delivery_info:

action_id:

add_exclusion: true code: 4.1.8

ip: 168.245.121.105

is autoresponder: false reason: 450 4.1.8 <bounces+22054145-9bed-[email]=[recipient domain]@wine.sommselect.com>:

Sender address rejected: Domain not found

type: blocked

Any/all help and suggestions on how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated, we’re at a loss at the moment! 

icon

Best answer by KatherineB 21 February 2023, 20:44

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @megk thanks for posting in the Klaviyo community! A couple of questions - how long ago did you switch to dedicated domain and IP? And did you warm your list efficiently? 

If not, here is some information from Klaviyo on how to warm up your sending infrastructure: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025945671-How-to-ramp-and-warm-your-sending-infrastructure

When you say engaged subscribers - what are the engagement metrics you’re looking at? For instance, if you’re looking at open rate, that could be inflated because of Apple iOS 15, which marks all emails as opens, regardless of whether they were actually opened or not. I suggest creating a suspicious segment to try and catch bots and things like that which may be contributing to your bounce problem. 

Here are a couple Klaviyo resources on list cleaning 

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015537111-How-to-remove-spam-traps-from-your-account

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005078347-List-Cleaning#suppress-contacts-from-receiving-email3

I also recommend creating a bounce segment and excluding it from new campaign sends. Klaviyo automatically excludes hard bounces, but it takes 7 soft bounces for an email to be suppressed automatically. Here’s more info about email bounces: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005250408-Understanding-bounced-emails-in-Klaviyo

Badge +1

Hi Katherine,

By “engaged subscriber” — I mean that these are users that have been opening, clicking, and engaging with our emails, and noticed that they’re no longer receiving our communications, not a specific segment or metric. 

We turned on our dedicated domain in September of 2021, and warmed it appropriately via the path Klaviyo suggested. Since then, we were using both Campaign Monitor and Klaviyo concurrently — we recently shuttered our Campaign Monitor sends, and now solely sending through Klaviyo. 

It looks as though the majority of users not receiving our emails are from icloud, mac, and me.com domains, as well as a handful of others. We’ve instructed our users that are experiencing repetitive bouncing to whitelist us, add us to their email address book, and so on — to no avail.

The “Domain Not Found” and the “Invalid Sending Address” pieces of the puzzle are making us scratch our heads…  

Thanks again! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @megk,

Looking at sample bounce log shared by you), it seems recipient domains are facing temp errors (4XX bounces aka soft bounce) either due to a fact that recipient’s MX records doesn't exist or the contact is inactive or dormant so getting blocked.

A few followup questions here to identify if there’s any gap:

1. Have you included any old inactive users in your active mailing stream (targeted to engaged customers)?
  2. What’s your definition of an engaged subscriber? Are you following any list housekeeping practices? If yes, can you give some context?
  3. Since, you were using Campaign Monitor & Klaviyo concurrently and now the former is shut down, have you got a chance to suppress the blacklisted users (under suppression or exclusion) on Klaviyo?
  4. What is the bounce trend on Gmail, Yahoo & Outlook domains (as top tier ISPs)? Any impact seen on reputation with regards to Gmail?
  5. What is your list composition - Gmail% vs. Yahoo% vs. Outlook% vs. iCloud%?

Regards

Mohsin

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Just adding to this discussion hope it helps you or anyone else in the future.

If you have DMARC enabled on your domain please check if the setting is not set to quarantine or reject and if there are set make sure your whitelisted domains are also listed there.

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Badge +3

Having a similar problem...
We are sending transactional emails that are suffering the same fate - even to users who have opened a previous email!

bounceType: Soft

$klaviyoBounceCategory: Invalid Sending Address

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hey, @gmc 

Can you share the complete sample bounce log? Also, if you can share the headers?

Regards,

Mohsin

Badge +3

Not sure where I can get the header or if this is the log you’re after.
I have blanked out some info, but you get the idea.
received mail > opened mail > a metric ran > bounced

This is the content of the bounced email ‘see more’

subject: Your xxxxxxxx

emailDomain: icloud.com

$message: S6vwcd

campaignName: Pre xxxxx

$flow: Y6Ndkh

$Cohort$messageSendCohort: 1692709366:S6vwcd

bounceType: Soft

$ESP: 0

$klaviyoBounceCategory: Invalid Sending Address

inboxProvider: Apple