Solved

Huge discrepancy, between Universal Analytics - G4 and Klaviyo.

• 22 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

I have a huge discrepancy, between Universal Analytics - G4 and Klaviyo. I have read all the posts related to this in the community, but I can't find any where this huge discrepancy is presented. I understand that Klaivyo and Google Analytics have different attribution models, I also understand that Klaviyo in its total revenue, does not take canceled or refunded orders. I have the UTM activated so that they do tracking, and still it is nothing like that. In my Klaviyo Dashboard, for example, it says that we have sold: 16,754,547 CLP only in FLOWS, while in G4 it says that we have only sold 704,000 CLP of FLOWS. Yesterday I spoke with Klaviyo's support because the difference is too abysmal and they told me “yes this is because the different attribution models”.

I have several questions regarding this:
1) If Klaviyo is actually selling more than 30% of the total revenue in my particular case (counting canceled orders and refunded orders), and in google analytics it tells me that Klaviyo is only contributing 1.26% of my total sales... Why, when one adds up all the percentages that google analytics gives, does that match the total sold on the platform, for example shopify?
2) How does Google take credit for something that didn't sell?
3) Could it be that I have installed something incorrectly from Klaviyo?
Please help me.

Here screen shots from G4 

Here screen shot from klaviyo dashboard 

icon

Best answer by Akers Digital 24 July 2023, 23:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @valen,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

I know you mentioned you’ve read up on a number of posts in our Community on this topic already. However, I found the discussion below on the subject of GA4 really helpful!

In my own experience, if you’re experiencing a large discrepancy between Klaviyo and Google Analytics, it’s typically caused by how the data is setup to be pulled in and viewed in GA. 

Google Analytics is a very powerful tool in helping you analyze their data. But because it’s so powerful, there are a number of intricacies to setting it up. If you need more help reviewing your own setup, I would recommend reaching out to some of our wonderfully insightful Klaviyo Partners

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hey @valen ,

Great question. There could be a couple reasons for the discrepancies all based around attribution and tracking.

1. Klaviyo will record conversions for people who opened or clicked an email, then purchased. GA4 will attribute the conversion to email when someone clicks on the email and purchases within the same session.
  2. UTM’s could be set up incorrectly in Klaviyo. For best results, I would ensure that the medium in Klaviyo is set to email or edit the channel groupings in GA4 to include flow / campaign in the email channel.

On top of that, GA4 now has the ability to actually change attributuion models. Universal Analytics used a last non-direct click attribution model while I’ve been seeing more GA4 accounts set up with Google’s own data-driven model.

The analytics won’t ever match up exactly, but hopefully those points above will help explain the gap. 

Badge +4

@Akers Digital  @David To 

Thank you very much for the answers. Do you know where I could find info on how to change the g4 attribution models to make them more consistent with Klaviyo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @valen,

I would check out Google’s own [GA4] Select attribution settings article on this to adjust both your attribution model and window. 

David

We’re having a similar issue Klaviyo conversion values are much higher

In our research the problem stems from 3 things. Popup is the biggest issue affecting metrics for us.

1. Popups huge issue here - if Klaviyo sends and email and user clicks it of course klaviyo is going to attribute the sale to itself. - Kaviyo devs if you’re listening Would be nice to limit attribution in these cases be able to turn off attribution for emails such as this where the customer was going to convert anyway many times - or even better - have nuances like the customer converted in < 1 hour don’t count. > 1 hour count.
  2. Attribution settings in Klaviyo - ours was set to count views and click throughs for 3 days. Turning to clicks should help. We just made this change cannot comment how well it fixes the issue but in theory should help.
  3. GA4 runs off sessions -and- first user. In GA4 session reports depending on your session length in your GA4 settings can be 30 minutes up to 8 hours. First user I believe the default is 90 days. GA4 categorizes sales based upon these two metrics. Klaviyo does so based upon click (or view) of email depending on your setting. So Klaviyo is always going to have a higher attribution than GA4 shows.