Solved

A/B Test Post-Purchase Flow in Shopify

• 3 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have created a post-purchase flow in Klaviyo with three emails, which include: 

1. Order confirmation 
  2. While you wait 
  3. Reminder to get started to use product 

For each email I am A/B testing. I want to understand the following: 

1. How do I integrate this flow and A/B testing into Shopify? From what I have read the only option right now is to copy/paste the HTML for the email template from Klaviyo to Shopify but this means there is no A/B testing available for the order conf?
  2. If I want to A/B test is my only option to use a standard order confirmation (no A/B test) and then have the remaining triggered in Klaviyo for the user to receive (this I can A/B test)?

Any suggestions or input would be helpful thank you! 

icon

Best answer by DavidV 3 April 2024, 04:33

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

Hi @curiouscalamansi,

Welcome to the Klaviyo community!

This is a slightly tricky one - to be able to turn off your order confirmation emails in Shopify, you need to be on a Shopify+ plan. There is an extensive article on the help centre (link) explaining how to send transactional emails out of Klaviyo.

My recommendation generally would be this:

• Send your transactional email (ie. Order Confirmation) out of Shopify. You can use Klaviyo to build the template (their emails look much better) and import it into Shopify using these instructions. Note - you would not be able to A/B test this template.
  • Now use Klaviyo create a “Post Purchase Flow” which includes the other 2 emails. These can now be easily modified to run A/B tests to check the performance of the flow.

I hope that helps!

Thanks
David

Badge

Thank you so so much for getting back to me David, this is helpful! 

I’ve now copy pasted the HTML over from Klaviyo into Shopify for the order confirmation but realised my brand fonts don’t appear. Is it possible to change this or are fallback fonts the only option? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

Hi @curiouscalamansi,

You are most welcome! 

Did you select the fonts when you built out the template in Klaviyo? Is your brand font a google font? 

If you select the actual font in Klaviyo this should translate in the HTML together with the fallback font - example here (code on left, visual on right):

Badge

Thank you David this is great!! Only issue is my font isn’t a Google font, I do however have an Adobe Typekit with my custom fonts - would this still work? 

The other option I thought I could try is uploading my custom font files to my Shopify store and linking to them there but I’m not sure this is supported by most email providers?

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

@curiouscalamansi my recommendation in general would be to find a websafe font that looks similar to your custom font. Quite a few of the email clients don’t support custom fonts (including Gmail which for most makes up a big portion of their sends).

We typically try to find a google font that is very close - that way you know how your customers view your emails. Some more info on the Klaviyo help centre here. You can also use tools like Email on Acid or Litmus to preview your emails in different clients. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks
David