Solved

Customers not triggering "started check out"

• 9 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi all,

We have created an abandoned cart flow, with the trigger “when someone starts checkout” and the flow filters “placed order zero times since starting this flow” and “has not been in the flow last 2 days”. We have noticed significantly less than expected profiles oging through this flow.

To test this I created a segment of people who have placed and order but not started checkout, and there was 300 profiles in the last 30 days.

One issue seems to be a large percentage of our customers using pay pal express that are not triggering started checkout.

Adiotnally, some profiles don’t seem to triger the started checkout triger, even though they have triggered active on site, and the page they are on is checkout and pay.

Is there a way to pick up these profiles that are going through paypal express? And what could be the issue with customers who don’t trigger started checkout despite being active on the checkout and pay page.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 10 March 2023, 04:53

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @EdB42!

For the Paypal issue, my colleague Alex provided an explanation here:

To summarize, Klaviyo does not identify PayPal orders/checkouts in events. To track PayPal orders as "Placed Order" or “Started Checkout” events, a custom API metric is needed to pass information from PayPal into Klaviyo. This can be done by creating a "Started PayPal Checkout" metric and using it as another flow filter.

Here’s our guide on Setting Up API-based Transactional Events, although I should say it will involve some development skills. (Feel free to reach out to one of our Official Klaviyo Partners for more help there, if wanted)

As for the second issue of customers not triggering the “Started Checkout” event, there could be a few causes. Here are some threads discussing the common ones that might help you narrow it down:

I hope this helps to get you started, and thanks for using the Community!

- Brian