Solved

Set up A/B test campaigns

• 29 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am trying to set up a series of campaigns where I’ll be running a split a/b test. For example Day 1 campaign on October 2 with audiences A and B, Day 2 on October 4 with audiences A and B, Day 3 on October 6 with audience A and B and Day 4 on October 8 with audience A and B.

When I am setting up in campaign, I can only see an option to send a split test that is random, even on days 2-4. I want to set it up so that the first send is 50/50 random, but then for each additional day send, whoever got version A will also get version A for subsequent sends, and whoever got version B will get version B over subsequent sends.

Then if there’s new people added to the segment, they would be split 50/50 over each subsequent version. 

How do I go about doing this?

icon

Best answer by Akers Digital 1 September 2023, 05:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @PJ_FGWC 

Welcome to the community and congrats on your first post, it’s a great question.

In my opinion it would actually be best to set up a flow for your use case. With campaigns, its a one time send and will not address any new customers who are added to your segment. My recommendation would be to set up to A/B Test a Flow Branch.

First set up segment triggered flow > Conditional Split (Random Sample 50%) > Email #1 > Time Delay. It will look something like this: 

This will allow you to easily make sure that 50% of your customers receive the Yes path (Group A) and the other 50% to receive the NO path (Group B). The article I linked above will go into more details on A/B testing the branch. 

Hope this helps!

Badge

Hi Stephen, thank you so much for the reply! I had actually thought of this and started building this out...however, it doesn’t seem there’s a way to trigger to a specific segment at a specific date and time...how would you go about doing this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

I would do this via segments.

1. Day 1 Send, do a split test and give each version a different name.
  2. After the send, create two segments using message variation filter, where you enter each message variation name into the respective segments.
  3. Day 2 send, send separate campaigns to the above two segments you made
  4. Day 3 send, send separate campaigns to the segments you made in step 2.

Here is a screenshot of what the definitions would look like for the segments. You would just need to change the message variation name to match the names you picked. 

Hopefully that helps!