Solved

Setting up a Klaviyo flow for different times before an event

• 24 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I'm working on setting up an email flow for people who purchase tickets for an event from our website. The event is happening on 16th July, and people can buy tickets up until 30 minutes before the event starts.

Our goal is to send a series of emails to each group and promote our products, but the number and frequency of emails will depend on how close to the event they purchase their ticket.

However, I'm not sure if this is the best approach. I am specifically interested to know if it is possible to set up flows based on days out from the event, rather than adding time delays. For example, is it possible to send emails 1 day before the event, 1 week before the event, etc., in Klaviyo?

If no, what are the alternatives to set up the flow?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or guidance on how to set up this flow. Has anyone else set up a similar flow, and if so, how did you go about it?

Thank you for your help!

icon

Best answer by KatherineB 24 May 2023, 13:30

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @PAC1996 thanks for posting in the Klaviyo community! How are tickets purchased - does it count as a placed order event in Klaviyo or is it through an app? Some apps (I believe Eventbrite is one of them) can integrate with klaviyo, or you could use a webhook to connect them, and then send the flow based on the date of the event. 

If you know the date of the event, you could use conditional splits in the flow to send a different chain of emails depending on when someone purchased, and use time delays in that regard. 

For instance, if the event is July 16, you could have a conditional split for people who buy tickets before June 16 and they go down one split in your flow, and then people who buy before July 1 could go down a different split, etc - however it makes sense for you. I’d love the input of some of the Champions @Bobi N. @In the Inbox @Omar @Gabrielle.ebusinesspros 

Here are a few Klaviyo community posts that might be helpful: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @PAC1996 

This is a great question and I hope we can help! In addition to the ideas Katherine suggested, you could also use a Date Property trigger in Klaviyo which is directly tied to a date profile property. So, you would need to be able to set the July 16 date as a profile property when someone signs-up/purchases the event in order to trigger them into this type of flow. 

The reason the Date Property Triggers are effective for instances like this, is that you can set the flow to trigger on or before the actual date. 

For really good instructions on how the Date Property triggers work and can be configured, check out the Klaviyo help article below.

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002732652

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to let us know!

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

That’s a great idea @In the Inbox !

Badge +1

Hi @In the Inbox and @KatherineB,

Thank you so much for your help.

I should have mentioned this earlier: we redirect people from our site to the main event's site, where they can purchase their tickets.

Those who make a purchase are then added to our list, and now we would like to promote our products to the people who bought the tickets.

Currently, we are using that “list” as the trigger for our flow.

We're considering setting up the flow based on a conditional split, using the criteria of "whether or not someone is in the list," and creating an "In (list name) before 07/09/2023" condition.

First conditional split - This caters to those who registered before July 9th, comprising five emails.

Second conditional split - Designed for those joining between July 9th and July 13th, i.e., a week prior to the main event. This flow includes three emails.

Third conditional split - For attendees purchasing tickets after July 13th. It consists of one email.

I've created a demo setup for this (see attached image). Could you please confirm if this setup is correct?