Solved

Why do contacts need to wait 1 day to receive a thank you email from the brand...

• 6 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

The above is the customer thank you flow suggested by Klaviyo.

But if you see, they suggest we wait 1 day before sending them a thank you email.

But won’t our customers need to receive a thank you email right after they place an order?

Or am I missing anything.

I’m just trying to understand the psychology behind it.

Thanks!! :)

icon

Best answer by Kylie W 6 August 2023, 23:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @nambirajanks 

Thank you for posting such a great question in the Klaviyo Community!

Before I provide my suggested reasoning behind the delay, I do just want to make sure you are aware that the timeframe can be updated / managed by you to a desired delay that best suits your customers 😊

My thoughts behind the 1day delay in sending a Thank You email to your customers, is to ensure that it does not get missed or buried by other emails. As such, that the messaging inside this email is received by your customer and read.

Depending on the particular customer journey and your other email flows already in place, a customer could potentially be getting a Welcome Series email flow, and once an order is submitted an Order Confirmation and this could be within the same day. Each and every email is important and we want our customers to read them and take in the content, as well as feel informed and establish relationship and build loyalty and retention.

If the customer is flooded with emails from the start, this maybe overwhelming and important messaging missed. Hence the spread of information. 

Of course, A/B Testing would be a great way to test the best time to send your Thank You email to your customer base.

I would be keen to hear what others in the Community 

Hope this provides some insight!

Kylie

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

In addition to @Kylie W already excellent response, a good reason to have some buffer between the “Order Confirmation” email and the “Thank You” email is that sometimes a user will request customer service right after the order (example, to change their shipping address, payment methods, etc) or even to cancel the order.  The extra day gives the merchant some buffer for the customer service team to interact with a customer before an automated “thank you email” goes out which might confuse the customer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @nambirajanks, this is a great question!

You’ve already gotten useful insights from @Kylie W and @retention - here’s what I add.

Many ecommerce stores send an order confirmation receipt style email immediately after the order is placed, so that’s another reason why Klaviyo recommends a delay before Email 1 in this Customer Thank You flow template.

For my clients, I want to create the least disruptive/ annoying experience for their customers. So when I build a Welcome Series flow, I add conditions to the flow logic that will remove someone from the flow once they Placed Order. THEN I’ll usually give 1 hour time delay between the Placed Order event, and when Email 1 of a New Customer Thank You or Repeat Customer Thank You flow. 

That creates a buffer between the ecom-store default order confirmation email, and this Customer Thank You flow.

In that first flow email, we’ll forecast what the customer can expect to happen next as their order is fulfilled, and we’ll proactively prompt them to reply to the email or call the client’s customer service team if they have any questions about their order. If you’re concerned about orders that are canceled within that 1 hour period, you could add a condition to the flow that blocks “anyone who’s Canceled Order or Refunded Order since starting this flow” so they don’t receive any “thank you” flow emails.  

Ultimately, each brand’s customers are different, so I encourage you to test different time delays to start the flow. You could start with the default 1 day, and if you find open rates are lower than you expect or want to see, then you could decrease the delay, so it feels more like a timely follow-up to the order that was just placed. 

I hope this helps!

Warmly,
Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros