Solved

Cannot manipulate AMP templates using the API

• 14 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

HELP: Simple problem that causes intense friction for brands on Klaviyo

Zaymo works with several Klaviyo brands to create interactive emails, specifically using the AMP framework which Klaviyo supports.

As of now, we cannot manipulate AMP templates using the API, and our customers have to copy and paste each template into their account and then link it to an email in a flow. Am I missing something here? If this simple problem was fixed, we could bring interactive emails to many more non-technical marketers.

icon

Best answer by retention 14 August 2023, 21:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @dkjonzy

This might be too obvious, so I’m probably not grasping your question.  But doesn’t the “Update Template” endpoint in the API let you programmatically update the Templates with the HTML as one of the payload parameter?

See here:
Developer's Portal : API Reference : Update Template

As for linking an existing Template within a Flow, the Flow API is relatively new so I’ll defer to others who may have more experience with it.  But looking at the list of endpoints, it seems like if given a Flow (Id), you can get all the Messages within the Flow, and you can then update the Flow Message (with the New Template?).  

See here:
Developer's Portal : API Reference : Get Flow Message

Does this help at all?

Badge +2

Hey @retention,

Yes you can update the HTML template, the problem is updating the AMP template. When you use interactive AMP emails inside of Klaviyo, the HTML and AMP templates are separate. They are sent at the same time and if the client supports AMP then it is displayed, if not the HTML is displayed. So the API supports updating the HTML version of the template but when working with AMP templates there is no way to update them via the API and we have to manually copy/paste them into each account which is a pain.

As to the flow message aspect, there is a way to get a message from a flow which is great. The problem is updating the flow message. There is no endpoint in the public documentation for updating a flow message so again we have to do all of that manually. 

Adding those two endpoints would be huge. Happy to chat with you product of eng teams in more detail if this is something you are able to do.