Solved

No double opt-in emails sent when attempting to subscribe profiles via Lists API v2

Badge +2

I am using Lists v2 API to subscribe new emails to a Klaviyo list with double opt-in enabled. 

The emails are captured via a custom (non-Klaviyo) form. 

The call is in node.js and looks similar to this: 

const listUrl = `https://a.klaviyo.com/api/v2/list/${listId}/subscribe`;
const data = {
api_key: this.tokens.privateToken,
profiles: [
{
{ email: profile.email }
},
],
};

const response = await fetch(listUrl, {
method: "post",
body: JSON.stringify(data),
headers: { "Content-Type": "application/json" },
});

I can see the new profiles being added in the “Profiles” section of the dashboard. 

However none of the profiles receive the initial email for double opt-in. I also checked the spam folder(s). 

Any guidance on where to look for troubleshooting this issue will be appreciated. 

Sidenote in case it is related: during my tests I tried to send emails manually via Messages screen to some of those recipients and all of them Soft bounced. I stopped trying after 3-4 attempts.

icon

Best answer by David To 7 May 2021, 18:14

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @db_helix

Thanks for sharing this question with our Klaviyo Community!

Since it sounds like your emails are soft bouncing when attempting to send emails to them, this indicates that they were rejected by the recipient's email provider. This would also extend to the double opt-in emails sent to these recipients as well. 

Bounces occur because of a variety of reasons, including:

• Email address doesn’t exist
    The contact could have provided a false address or made a typo in the address. If you are unsure, you can try correcting the email address and sending a one-off email. If the email still bounces, this address should remain suppressed.
  • Email is undeliverable
    The email was unable to be delivered due to an error with the server, etc. 
  • Mailbox is full
    If the profile has opened emails from you in the past, they may need to empty their mailbox.
  • Vacation/Auto-reply
    The contact may have set a temporary auto-reply. If there is previous activity in the account, they may need to turn off auto-reply.
  • Blocked Email
    The receiving server has blocked the incoming email.

Although these bounce reasons typically occur due to your recipient’s inbox providers, common areas within your account you can check and troubleshoot include:

• Ensuring that the sending address you are using is a professional one that includes your domain name as opposed to one using a free inbox domain such as @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc. Learn more about this from the How to Change the Sender Email Address article
  • Double checking that emails are not failing the DMARC policy by making sure there is not DMARC policy in place, that the DMARC Policy is set to p=none, and/or you are utilizing a dedicated sending domain.

@Julia.LiMarzi and @dov.derin also share some more insight into these two points in the following Community post as well:

Hope this helps!

-David

Badge +2

Thank you @david.to ! 

For future readers, this is what made the difference in my case because I was using a random @yahoo.com email as the sender: 

• Ensuring that the sending address you are using is a professional one that includes your domain name as opposed to one using a free inbox domain such as @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc. Learn more about this from the How to Change the Sender Email Address article
Badge +1

Can someone update the link to “How to Change the Sender Email Address?

I’m having trouble with this too, but don’t know how to fix it.