Solved

What field to set for sms consent?

• 31 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

We’re trying to use a checkbox for explicit sms consent collection. However, I can’t see that my attempts so far work to actually set that the user has given their consent. I’ve tried setting the profile property field for the checkbox to be $consent and the checking of the box to ‘sms’, but that didn’t do anything. I know we can get consent by selecting ‘collect sms consent’ on the phone number field, but to be GDPR compliant, we wanted to instead get the consent more explicitly using a checkbox. Does anyone have insight as to which field in klaviyo is needed to signal to klaviyo that this subscriber consents to sms marketing? Or maybe an alternate way I can get this to work?

icon

Best answer by julie.accardo 3 April 2021, 15:09

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @slatlas,

Have you checked out the following resources?

Guide to Collecting GDPR Compliant Consent

Getting Started with SMS Handbook - How to Collect SMS Consent

Understanding Consent in Profiles

Platform-specific resources:

Using Forms to Collect SMS Consent on Magento 2

Using Forms to Collect SMS Consent on Shopify

Using Forms to Collect SMS Consent on WooCommerce
How to Collect SMS Consent at Checkout on Shopify Plus

How to Collect SMS Consent at Checkout on WooCommerce

Using Forms to Collect SMS Consent on BigCommerce

How to Collect SMS Consent at Checkout on BigCommerce

Caroline

Badge +2

Hi Caroline,
Thank you for the links. Yes, I read the links and despite setting the checkbox value to ‘sms’ and mapping the checkbox to the $consent field (as mentioned in my original post), I would not see a user that signs up through the popup form and checks the box as one w/ sms consent (when I check on Klaviyo). Not sure why it’s not working as it should (and support at the time said they only supported the more implicit consent collection that’s built-in to the phone number field). We decided in the end to just not satisfy GDPR requirements since we’ll only worry about sending sms to US numbers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +34

Hi @slatlas,

I just tested the following setup in my test account and although you are unable to see the $consent profile property displaying at the profile level, you are still able to create a segment of anyone with $consent contains sms. When I tested creating this segment, my test user did appear on the segment.

I’d recommend that you confirm that the setup on the signup form looks similar to what I have displayed above and then create a segment and you should be seeing people appear on the segment that consented to SMS.

I hope this helps!

Julie

Badge +2

Thanks for replying, Julie. I actually got a reply from Klaviyo support about this as well, and that person clarified that setting the checkbox to ‘sms’ for the $consent property does allow for segmentation like you said, but it doesn’t collect the timestamp, which would be needed for GDPR compliance. It’s good to know that making things GDPR compliant is in the works.