F.A.Q.

Don’t get cut off because of Gmail clipping

• 2 June 2022
  • 6 replies
Don’t get cut off because of Gmail clipping
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It’s never fun to encounter the dreaded “[Message clipped] View entire message” notice at the bottom of your emails. Thankfully there are some best practices you can follow and actions you can take in our new and classic editors to make sure you don’t run into them too often.

New Editor Clipping:
If you are experiencing clipping in the classic or new email editor, your template will have to become smaller. Some tips for making your template smaller in the new email editor are the following:

• Limit the use of multiple sections.
  • Limit the use of background images in sections.
  • Limit the use of device-specific blocks (i.e. desktop-only / mobile-only).
  • Consolidate settings as much as possible. For example, set a background color at the section level instead of on each block within the section.
  • Consolidate blocks as much as possible. Use a single text block where possible instead of multiple text blocks one after another.

The classic editor is deprecated as of May 2023. Please use the New Editor clipping prevention practice.

Old Editor:

Preventing Gmail clipping when using our classic editor is much more manageable. Watch the video (with sound 🔊) below going over best practices to avoid Gmail Clipping.

In the video, I explain that templates should be around 75 KB in order to avoid being clipped by Gmail. Email templates with over 102KB of HTML will definitely be clipped by Gmail.

To find the exact size of the email when it is delivered in the inbox (including click tracking), send yourself a one-off email using this method, then click ‘View Entire Message’ if the email is clipped in your inbox. 

Once the full message is open in your browser, right-click anywhere in the window, then, click View Page Source. 

Copy all of the page source code, then visit bytesizematters.com and paste your email’s code into the text field. The size of your email will appear in the right corner above the text field.

This GIF below illustrates these steps.

To avoid clipping, the template will have to become smaller. 

In the video, I go over some techniques to cut down on KB size, such as using 'desktop & mobile' blocks rather than one block for desktop only and one block for mobile only, using just one product block, and limiting how many header and table blocks are used. Product and header blocks use the most HTML & CSS, so they are larger.

Also, if you are copying & pasting content from another source (such as Google Docs, internal emails, etc.) into your Klaviyo emails, please use the Paste as Plain Text button to clear inline styles from the original source. These external inline styles that are getting carried over from the original source can add additional HTML/CSS, increasing the size of the email.

Image sizes do not affect KB size of emails. So, if your images are large (2000px wide for example) this will not make the email larger. 

FyHIWc5aEzchjRlXfnX1DOWt7wUHpJiSXJKvdOJGq0qhc5VZTayXK15s9W3CTi_uQgRtm9pBPCq_EJhlkOKRcgVxO3lRHmI1fFAAb-CrSX4W8DFLRX0Qwp8jA9alyXvDlk9T-uytSOBsoaihBQ

Additional Resources:

6 replies

Badge +3

I have followed most of these steps but I still cannot come close to the amount of blocks that a competitor uses in their emails without being clipped.  

Below is a video showing how long my competitor's email is without being clipped.  In total they have 22 blocks at least.  Not to mention the double menu at the top!  FYI it is not clipped on mobile in the gmail app either.  

How on earth are they doing this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @JHEAP,

Although we cannot speak to how other software and email service providers process emails, their backend could be smaller than Klaviyos which causes less weight in the email’s code - though that could also cause it to have less analytic capabilities. 

It’s also possible that a number of the blocks shown in the email are also static image blocks. Rather than in Klaviyo, you can use live product blocks to pull in products and their information. As @Anna McCarthy mentioned previously, image sizes do not affect KB size of emails as images are loaded from an external source - only the code used to display an image in an email contributes to the message size. Similarly, the same can be said with using live texts, etc. Using live blocks would add more code weight, but you do not have to design everything externally and then bring it in to Klaviyo through an image block. 

Another thing to consider is that the email may be fully custom coded via HTML. Since you have full control over the code and therefore the code size, custom coding your own email using HTML is going to be smaller in size. 

Overall, we do see that shorter emails perform better in general: one clear CTA or idea you’re advertising rather than multiple CTAs/ideas tend to get more clicks and engagement. @Anna McCarthy actually pointed this tip out in another one of her amazing Community posts where she list out her favorite template resources:

Not too many CTAs, pick one (maybe 2) ideas or products you’re looking to advertise, and focus the email on that - emails with too many CTAs do not get very high click rates (blog on this here and here - external resources but trustworthy).

Ultimately, there are a number of ways to still have an email that has a lot of content while still staying under the 102kb limitation to prevent clipping in Gmail.

David

Badge +3

Hi David. 

Thanks a lot for your reply.  

Just one more question for now.  I tested using the new editor and it seemed to allow more live blocks than the old editor.  Is this true or am I imagining things?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @JHEAP,

Great question! 

Overall I wouldn’t say you’re imagining things. On a block-by-block basis, the new editor performs better in terms of code weight, meaning it is “lighter” in their individual block codes. However, because of the new features and function available to you in the new editor (i.e. sections and universal content), as well as the increased visibility of certain settings (i.e. show/hide, repeat content, and device specific content) we have found that users are using more of these components in their messaging. This in turn would lead to templates created in the new editor seeming to come off as “heavier” in their code. 

Keep in mind that even device specific content although not visible to you would still attribute to the overall code weight. 

David

Badge +8

Hello. You mentioned above the use of universal blocks, how much “code weight” do universal blocks add to an email? I am currently using them for header/footer in each email, and wondering if this is contributing to our clipping issue. We have followed all of the advice Anna has provided above and emails are still clipping.

Also with components such as show/hide, if this is impacting emails, would you say it is better to segment audiences and send emails with specific content, rather than utilize the show/hide functionality?

Finally - is there a plan to phase out the old editor? Currently I am more inclined to use that editor as there is less clipping, but conscious that it may not be available forever!

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @jadebiscuit,

If you could segment your audiences to send more specific content to them, I would. As opposed to utilizing the show/hide functionality. 

Show/hide is a great functionality to curate personalized content. However, depending on how much segments or groupings recipients you’re trying to target, this could negatively bloat up the size of your email. Additionally, it could also cause confusion depending on how much logic are used in your show/hide function too. 

Segmenting and sending specific content oftentimes is a better practice. Not only will you have more cohesive recipient groups, but it could help in further marketing efforts down the road. 

Instead of using a universal block for both your Header/Footer in each email, I think you’ll find simply saving your footer block will help to achieve the same thing. I typically suggesting using universal blocks for sections of content that change frequently. 

For a section such as the footer of email, which remains typically static, you may have better luck avoiding clipping by saving a single footer and applying it to new emails in the future. 

In regards to plans to phase our our classic editor in favor of our new editor, I haven’t heard anything on my end. But if that ever changes, I’m sure we’ll give an announcement and a headsup to our many members who may still be using the classic editor. 

David