Solved

How to add an image behind a text block?

• 10 December 2020
  • 11 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hello guys!

I’ve been trying to see how I can add a background image for a text block like below (I saw this sample from the holiday show).

Screenshot from The Holiday Show

I couldn’t find a way to do this so I was hoping someone can teach me? Is it via custom HTML?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by retention 1 November 2021, 21:36

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is definitely with html or 100% image

Thanks for confirming @jsappington.

I hope Klaviyo writes a tutorial for HTML :fingers_crossed_tone2:

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @daphne, I’m so glad to hear that you were able to join us for the Klaviyo Holiday Show! I hope you found it fun and educational - love that you were able to pull some ideas from it, like the one above. 

You can actually add a full background in your template, then delete the Content Background in order to clear the text box color. Unfortunately, it’s not super straight-forward in the editor, but we have a guide on how to make the text background transparent in this article here.

Essentially, you clear out the Content Background, hit “Save”, then either Refresh the page or click Save & Return to Templates. When you get back to the page, the text background should be cleared out and transparent. 

You can see in my example that, where my text box is, the background is transparent, but I’ve highlighted my text: 

Hope that helps! 
-Cass.

That is really helpful!!! Thank you Cass :)

Badge +4

Would be really great if Klaviyo added the ability to overlay text over an image block or at least allow table block where the background can be set as an image and then we can add text into one of the tables as a workaround. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @GoodVibes123!

Thanks for your suggestion and I can definitely let the team know to see if they can put this kind of feature on the roadmap for the Klaviyo product. I agree it would be very helpful and more intuitive if the overlay feature could be built in. If you have other details about what you would like to see, please feel free to reply again!

Have a good day,

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@daphne + @GoodVibes123  -  Great news - I’ve been waiting for this day to come! You can now add Text on top of a Background Image without implementing any HTML workarounds.    

If you haven’t heard, in the new Klaviyo October Product Event, Klaviyo released an update to the Template Editor interface with Sections.  With Sections, you can now set a “Background Image” and have your Blocks within the Sections be transparent so that the Section Background Image shows through.  Now you can have Text and other Blocks (Buttons, Tables, etc) on top of an Image.

I did a quick test of this and was able to do this:

Here you can see I put a Two Text Blocks (Headline + Sub-title) along with a Button on top (with a transparent Block backgrounds) of a Background image defined in the Section. 

You may still want to tweak settings like padding and spacing, how the image fills and position, and adjust any irregularities with mobile, but this is now a native feature and works out of the box!

Here’s some newly minted Klaviyo documentation articles about using the new Section feature:

---

Joseph Hsieh // retentioncommerce.com // twitter: @retenion 

Badge +4

Wow @retention this is REALLY great news, thank you!

Badge +4

@retention @cassy.lee @alex.hong is there a way to migrate older templates (or saved sections) created in the old editor into the new template editor or do we have to recreate the emails in the new editor? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @GoodVibes123,

At this time there are still some features that are in continued development, such as Converting Templates from the Old Editor to the New Editor. This feature is expected to roll out after the holidays. We know how eager you are to fully transition everything over to the new editor interface, so we are working hard to make this available for all of your Email Templates as soon as possible. 

We hope you are as excited about our new Email Template Editor as we are! Several new features are available, such as the ability to preview event data directly in your template, as well as the ability to layer text over images. Please refer to our Guide to the New Template Editor for more information on how to use these features. 

Have a good day!
Alex

Badge +1

Yes, a feature allowing text overlaying images would be extremely helpful, as well as images over other images. Also, being able to lay buttons over images would also be really useful, thanks.