Sticky F.A.Q.

How often do segments update?

• 27 November 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Segmentation is one of the most powerful tools in Klaviyo! Segments update automatically and immediately.

Once you create a segment, it will pull in customers that meet the definitions you set from anywhere in your Klaviyo account – this is why it’s important to confine a segment to a specific list if you’re using it for campaign targeting. Otherwise, you risk sending to people who have not opted in to receive your marketing messages!

There are two exceptions to be aware of when discussing how often segments update:

• Segments that rely on relative time conditions, which are only true after a certain period of time (i.e. purchased from an email at least 5 days ago) - these types of segments update every 24 hours instead of real-time.

• Segments that rely on all “negative” conditions (i.e. everyone that is not in several specified lists) - these types of segments may update with a slight delay.

If you’re new to segmentation and want to learn more, check out our guide!

11 replies

Badge +1

Hello, 

I’d like to be able to send a segmented email to 180-Day Engaged Non-Purchasers. I built a segment for customers who are subscribed, have opened or clicked an email in the last 180 days, and have made a purchase 0 times over all time. 

I created a campaign and added this segment, and scheduled it for a send a couple of days later. However, when it sent, it sent to customers who had made a purchase the night before. How do I ensure the segment is up to date before it sends?

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey @shannon_fay, happy Friday! Segments update in real time once they’re built. Did you use an AND connector when saying customers had to purchase 0 times over all time? It sounds like there may have been an issue with how your segment conditions were connected together but it’s difficult to say for sure if this is the case without seeing how the segment was built! Could you post a screenshot of your segment definition? Thanks!

Badge +1

Hi @shoshana.antunes , happy Friday! See attached. Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@shannon_fay thanks for these details! I’m wondering whether the order logic of conditions in your segment is getting a bit confused. You could try reordering the conditions like this:

• Opened or Clicked email at least once in last 180 days
  • And placed order 0 times over all time 
  • And is not suppressed for email

One other question I have for you - did you use the Determine Recipients at Send Time setting when scheduling your campaign? It's possible that if you did not, your campaign could have been sent to customers who purchased the night prior. If this is the case, here’s how to turn that setting on for next time!

Badge +5

Hi shoshana.antunes 

I have a segment for a campaign which excludes people who purchased in the last 7 days.

Say a contact is within that segment and I scheduled the email tomorrow, THEN that contact placed order today. 

Will that contact still receive the email for tomorrow? Or will the segment be updated to exclude this recent purchase?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @krmq,

Thanks for sharing this question with us.

As long as you select the option to determine recipients at send time  for your campaign, Klaviyo will take a new snapshot of your target list or segment right before the scheduled campaign sends. This ensures that everyone who is added/removed from the list or segment between the scheduling and send time correctly receives or does not receive the email.

To determine recipients at send time, select a time and timezone when you would like your email to send. If there are no locations set for a profile, it will take the account's timezone. Next, check the box to determine recipients at send time.

Using the determine recipients at send time option.

For more information on email campaign scheduling options, please see our article here.

I hope that’s helpful!

Badge +5

Thanks for your help @Dov:grin:  

Badge +2

I have a customers who are part of few segments and newsletter list …

I would like to send an email to specific segment with a offer and then to newsletter list with a generic email at the same time frame

will the customer receive 2 emails ?

Badge +5

Hey @Buckets and Spades  If that customer is within that segment and also part of the newsletter, yeah s/he will receive both emails. 

I suggest you exclude the newsletter list when you send an offer to that segment and vice versa so the customer only gets one offer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Buckets and Spades,

If you’re referring to including this list and this segment in the same campaign send, we will automatically remove any duplicates. So in theory, if the user was a part of a list and a segment both included in the send, they would only receive the email once. I think @krmq may be thinking of if you’re sending 2 separate campaigns. You can read more about how we determine the expected recipients for a campaign in our article here. The second bullet point refers to skipping duplicate profiles (profiles that exist in multiple included lists/segments).

I hope that’s helpful.

The term "segments" can have different meanings depending on the context. For example, in marketing, segments could refer to groups of customers with similar characteristics. In data analysis, segments might be subsets of data.

If you're referring to segments in a specific software or platform, please provide more context so that I can give you accurate information. The update frequency of segments can vary widely depending on the software, platform, or system you're using. It could be real-time, scheduled, or triggered by specific events.

If you can provide more details about the context of the term "segments," I'll be happy to help you with more specific information.