Solved

Creating a Shopify Flow for Payment Reminders

• 1 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor II
  • 3 replies

Hello! 

I am trying to set up a payment reminder flow using Shopify Flow. Essentially, it would send two emails before cancelling the order. 

I’m just curious — with Klaviyo, I can only send a campaign. Since there wouldn’t be a list I want to send it to, but rather the order email, will including the {{order.email}} variable work? 

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 8 February 2023, 15:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @SJK and welcome back to the Community!

Just to clarify, are you essentially hoping to trigger a flow when someone purchases a product, instead of using a List Trigger? Also, would you mind clarifying what you mean by “I can only send Campaigns in Klaviyo”? I’m only asking so that myself and other Community members can gather some more context on the issue.

I may be missing something, but it sounds like your use case may be feasible using a Klaviyo Flow triggered by a Placed Order metric. In order to accomplish this, you would just navigate to Flows > Create Flow > Create from scratch. Once you name your flow and get to the editor, you can choose “Metric” as the trigger, and “Placed Order” or “Ordered Product” as the metric (the difference between the two is described here):

This would ensure that each individual customer receives personalized emails that are timed relative to their own purchase, and you can also add Conditional Splits and Time Delays to design the desired effect.

As far as your question about the {{order.email}} variable, can you elaborate on where you would hope to include this variable? It’s not possible to substitute an event variable in the “Send to” section of a Campaign, as only Lists and Segments are available:

However, you can add personalization, such as the recipients email, in a text block by clicking this button:

I hope this information helps, and feel free to respond with some more context about your use case if I missed something!

Thanks for using the Community!

- Brian

Badge +1

Hello, 

Thank you for this info!

I am trying to create the flow in Shopify Flow and not through Klaviyo directly. 

The reason I can’t use Klaviyo directly is that the trigger for the action is based on a variable only Shopify has (regarding payment gateways for orders). As such, I wouldn’t be able to create a segment either as it would need to be specific to an order being placed in conjunction with a specific payment method and payment not received. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @SJK!

I see - just to clarify a little more, where exactly in Klaviyo are you hoping to substitute this dynamic variable? As I mentioned before, it’s not possible to address a campaign to an individual using a dynamic variable. 

However, one potential workaround could be to create a custom Klaviyo metric to correspond with the Shopify-exclusive variable you mentioned. While this could take some development effort, you would be able to pass in additional, custom information into Klaviyo, and then trigger a flow with a proxy variable.

Here’s our Development docs on our suggested Placed Order API call:

As well as some additional docs to get you started, if you decide to go this route:

If you’re interested in personalized development help, you can always reach out to one of our wonderful Klaviyo Partners for assistance as well!

Thanks again for using the Community!

- Brian