Solved

WooCommerce - subscribe to newsletter checkbox at checkout

• 23 November 2020
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

How do I set the checkbox at checkout to have a tick in it automatically and the customer has to uncheck the box to subscribe if they dont want to?

cheers

icon

Best answer by remstone 23 November 2020, 22:13

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hey @katestrong - could you provide more information, what integration are you using?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

oh yes, sorry, woocommerce. i did see a check in the klaviyo side of things for woocommerce that says to sign up new customers so im hoping that overrides if they dont check that box?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

At this time this is not possible with our plugin but it is something we can look into doing for a future release.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thank you.

Badge +1

Hi,

I saw the question from @katestrong and I just want to check if I understand correctly, does this mean that there is no option to have opt-ins in the shopping cart area (not compatible with woocomerce) or just the option to have it already checked (the checkbox for opting in your email into a email list).

Thanks in advance

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@IvanB We do support opt-ins at checkbox!  We don’t support having the checkbox checked by default, the default behaviour for it will be unchecked

Badge +1

@remstone ahh ok that’s what I thought, I found it odd that it would be any other way, thank you for the response!

Badge +1

I have added this javascript on my checkout page and it works:

<script type="text/javascript">
const cb = document.getElementById('kl_newsletter_checkbox');
cb.checked=true;
</script>

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

oooh, thank you so much. :)

Badge +1

Hi,

Beside the checkbox, is it also possible to add all buyers to a list. By default. So without a checkbox at all? That is how we did it with our previous mail provider, and no customer ever complained. 

Would be great if there is an option to accomplish this. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Yes I had that with aweber, all buyers were automatically added to my newsletter list.

Badge +1

Hi @katestrong, thanks for your response. With Mailchimp this is possible as well. I found that Zapier can do it:

When a buyer is automatically added to a Mailchimp list (I don’t use MC for any mailings/campaigns anymore, just for this auto-added option with buyers) the ZAP will add them to my Klaviyo list ‘New Subscribers’. 

At that point the Klaviyo flow will start. 

I only still want to disable the double opt-in for that list. Just contacted Klaviyo for that.

With your suggestion of Aweber you triggered me to use a ZAP, thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Glad you found a solution.

Badge +2

cb.checked=true;
</script>

cb.checked=true;
</script>

I can’t get this to work. This is my full code in Snippets...

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @mia,

Since this is a custom code provided by @canquincalla, Klaviyo wouldn’t be able to provide assistance for it due to the custom nature of how this code functions as well as how it may interact with your site’s own code.

One suggestion I would also recommend would be checking is to ensure that the Subscribe contacts to email marketing setting is enabled within your WooCommerce extension settings to be adding users to a designated Klaviyo list. Instructions for this can be found in the How to Integrate with WooCommerce article. Only with this setting enabled would the checkbox at the checkout page be replaced with a Klaviyo specific one. 

Alternatively, you can also work with a developer to see if adjusting this code to align with your site code will work or finding a Klaviyo partner to help you in this endeavor. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +1

i too would like to ask the question, the woocommerce addon is definitely lacking, what i would like to know is if i untick “Subscribe conctacts to email marketing” would that remove the opt-in tickbox on checkout and just sign them up automatically or does it stop the sign up complete?

+1 for adding a auto-tick to the tickbox.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @RookieKiwi,

Having the Subscribe contacts to email marketing setting disabled would remove the opt-in tickbox from your checkout page altogether and would not sign users up to a list automatically. Without this option, you would not be giving your customers a chance to consent and opt-into your lists after completing the purchase. 

David

Badge +2

Hi,

We have just installed the Woocommerce plugin and made the integration successfully. However, even if I tick the box Subscribe contacts to email marketing, it won’t show the checkbox in the checkout page.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I can’t find a solution. I also installed on another website and even there is not showing up.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @nikasbergaglio,

I noticed you posted the same question in the thread below

I have left a comment there for you, do let us know if you are still encountering any issues after running through those steps.

Badge +1

For anyone interested in adding a newsletter subscribe checkbox to WooCommerce checkout, MailOptin plugin has the feature and it’s effortless to setup. And it integrates with Klaviyo.

See How to Setup Subscribe to Newsletter via WooCommerce Checkout