Solved

How to make a segment using constellation?

• 24 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I’d like to make segments by constellations.

Is it possibe?  If possible, could you tell me how?

icon

Best answer by Dov 26 January 2023, 20:12

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Chisa GOTO ,

Thanks for sharing this question with us. Yes - this is certainly possible!

The easiest solution is to collect your users’ constellations as custom properties. Custom properties store information about the contacts in your account. You can collect virtually any type of information you'd like about a contact using custom properties, and then later use this information to tailor content, create segments, or filter flows. The main methods for collecting custom properties include through a Klaviyo sign-up form (here’s an additional article that speaks to sign-up form blocks and fields), manage preferences pages or through a .csv upload (if you already have this information about the user and simply want to add it to the profile). In short, you’ll want to either add “constellation” as an input field in your sign-up form, in a preference page or upload it. In addition to the help articles, I’m also linking a few community threads below to help further:

I hope that’s helpful.

Badge +1

Thanks for the tip!
I guess it”s difficult to make constellations segments with cunstomers’ birthday?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for the tip!
I guess it”s difficult to make constellations segments with cunstomers’ birthday?

Maybe create a flow which when triggered, checks the users birthday:

if birthday between 1st Jan and March, set the appropriate constellations property in those users profiles.
if birthday between 1st March and June set the appropriate constellations property in those users profiles.

etc...

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Chisa GOTO,

Thanks for your reply. And thank you @JordanC26 for your suggestion!

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip!

Maybe create a flow which when triggered, checks the users birthday:

if birthday between 1st Jan and March, set the appropriate constellations property in those users profiles.
if birthday between 1st March and June set the appropriate constellations property in those users profiles.

etc...

My original reply was based on the assumption that you wanted to collect constellation as a net-new custom property but I really like the solution from @JordanC26. If you already have birthday set as a custom property, using it as a proxy for their constellation is a great idea. Using segmentation, that would look something like the following (just changing the dates and naming the segment to align with the constellation) repeat for each constellation. The same principle (Birthday > is between dates) can be used in flows too.

Thanks again @JordanC26 for that awesome idea and thanks to you both for being community members!

Badge +1

@JordanC26 

@Dov d

Thank you!  So the year 2023 will be ignored, just birthdate will be working, right?

Badge +1

@Dov 

My first question was lack of explanation.  I apologize.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Chisa GOTO,

Thanks for your reply.

Upon review, using birthdays as a proxy actually wouldn’t work for the purposes of segmentation because of the year requirement. Here’s another solution to combine with the my original reply to target existing profiles, create a segment using properties about someone > birthday is set. This will capture all users who have the “birthday” property. You’ll have to change the data type of the segment to “text” in order to see “is set” as an option.

Birthday “is set”
​​​​​​

Next, export this segment. In the .csv file, add a new column including the constellation for each recipient and re-import them into a net-new list. From there, you’ll be able to segment using “properties about someone” > constellation = X.

Apologies for the initial confusion - I hope that’s helpful.