Solved

How can I create a SMS flow based on a specific subscribe keyword?

• 16 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I’m trying to set up a SMS subscription keyword that will trigger a different welcome message than my normal one -- essentially having customers text in a keyword that will 1) add them as subscribers, 2) send them a custom message with a coupon code and a link to the product they’re texting about.

I can’t set up a flow that’s triggered by becoming a new subscriber + filter for the keyword in their message, since those are two different metrics (became subscriber + sending SMS), and filtering for the keyword in their message doesn’t seem to work in the tests I’ve done. If I make an automated keyword in Settings, I can’t add a link to the special product. 

So far, it looks like the best I can do is to make a new subscriber/welcome flow that’s only live for a short period of time, which is a huge hassle. Our texting number is verified and has been used previously, so that’s not the issue.  Has anyone else had this issue and figured out a way around it? 

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 16 August 2023, 22:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @NinoC.

Welcome to the Community! Happy to help!

While you are correct that isn’t a combined flow metric that would do this, I’m happy to report that you can create flows that respond to specific subscribe keywords a customer sends to you  based on the SMS sent metric and add a ‘contains’ trigger filter using the keyword you’re looking for! 

Additionally, I’d check out this similar thread to gain more insight and additional SMS related strategy articles to level up your SMS game! 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +2

Thanks @Taylor Tarpley

I’m happy to report that you can create flows that respond to specific subscribe keywords a customer sends to you  based on the SMS sent metric and add a ‘contains’ trigger filter using the keyword you’re looking for! 

Will this still work with customers who are texting a a subscribe keyword? That article states “In this flow, someone will only receive the text if they are subscribed to SMS.” And in testing so far, they receive back our standard “thanks for subscribing” text, not the flow that we’re trying to create.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @NinoC.,

The strategy mentioned by @Taylor Tarpley, would still work with users texting a subscribe keyword. A sent SMS event is triggered whenever someone texts your destination/sending number. This includes users texting a subscribe keyword. 

This way, users who text your subscribe keyword would then be added to your SMS subscribers list and then triggered a flow which is setup based on recognizing the keyword sent in the SMS.

David