Solved

Dedicated sending domain for multiple accounts

• 1 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello everyone,

I'm currently using multiple accounts under the same email address because my team manages several e-commerce stores. However, since it's not possible to set up more than one dedicated sending domain, I'm wondering if I can use the same sending domain for all the other accounts and just change the "from" address.

For example, if I set up the dedicated sending domain info@send.myshop.com, I can use it for all the other shops we have. This address will be used to send newsletters for each shop, but I want to display the email address that belongs to a specific online shop.

My question is: can I just change the "from" address to the email that belongs to that specific online shop?

Does it affect the main address of this specific shop?

icon

Best answer by inboxingmaestro 1 May 2023, 19:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hey @Mischa ,

Yes, you can use the same sending domain for multiple accounts in Klaviyo and change the "from" address to display the email address that belongs to a specific online shop. This is a common practice among businesses that manage multiple e-commerce stores.

To change the "from" address, you will need to set up a new email address in each account that corresponds to the specific online shop. You can then select this email address as the "from" address when sending newsletters for that shop.

Changing the "from" address does not affect the main address of the specific shop, as the emails are still being sent from the same sending domain. However, it is important to note that some email clients may flag emails as suspicious or spam if the "from" address does not match the sending domain, so it's important to use a legitimate email address and avoid using generic addresses like "noreply" or "info".

Additionally, it's important to maintain good email sending practices for all the accounts under the same sending domain to avoid any negative impact on deliverability. This includes ensuring that all the accounts have good email engagement rates, avoiding spam complaints, and maintaining a good sender reputation.

If the problem persist you can always reach out to me. 

Badge +1

Thanks for your reply. That helps me a lot.

Ok, i will then setup a sending domain, which i will use for all my other online stores. 

But how is it, with warming up the sending domain, since this email adress can just send and nor recieve? does it work well?

Thanks for your answer.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

You’re welcome @Mischa , I’m glad I can help

When setting up a sending domain in Klaviyo, it is important to follow a warm-up process to establish a positive reputation with email service providers (ESPs) and improve email deliverability. This process involves gradually increasing the volume of emails sent over time, starting with a low volume and gradually increasing until you reach your desired sending frequency.

Since the sending domain is used only for sending emails and not for receiving them, the warm-up process is focused on building a positive reputation with ESPs by gradually increasing the volume of emails sent and ensuring that engagement metrics (such as open rates, click-through rates, and spam complaints) are consistently high.

To warm up the sending domain effectively, it is important to follow best practices for email sending, including sending high-quality content to engaged subscribers, using double opt-in to ensure list quality, avoiding spam trigger words and phrases, and maintaining a consistent sending frequency.

It's important to note that the warm-up process may take several weeks or even months, depending on the volume of emails you plan to send and the quality of your email list. However, taking the time to warm up the sending domain properly can lead to improved deliverability, increased email engagement, and better overall results from your email marketing campaigns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Mischa,

In my experience, it’s actually not recommended to use the same sending domain for multiple accounts across Klaviyo as @Lanresdev suggested. Especially if each of these accounts you manage are not under the same brand umbrella, such as a brand that has different sites/stores for different regions. 

Even if they were under the same brand umbrella, although they can share the same dedicated sending domain, oftentimes there will be some variance to these different stores that is added that would not make it impossible to use the same sending domain/address. For example, the domain address of these other stores/sites are different (MyStore.com vs. MyStore.eu) or if they are subdomains (MyStore.com vs. eu.mystore.com). 

Using a sending domain that doesn’t align with your store could have a negative impact on your sending reputation. Because inbox providers would be seeing a misalignment, this would raise some suspicions. 

I would suggest taking a look at some past Community posts on this subject. I’ve included some below that I think would be helpful:

If you need more hands-on assistance, I would further recommend reaching out to some of our Klaviyo Partners who specialize in deliverability such as our Community champion @inboxingmaestro.

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hey @Mischa 

Great question and amazing thoughts by @David To & @Lanresdev 

I strongly agree with @David To on NOT using the same sending domain across multiple stores.You should always approach a good sending domain (preferably subdomain of your website active domain) strategy with a primary objective of building a strong domain reputation with mailbox providers in the long run but if you mix up different email programs for different stores and send it from a single sending domain, it’d have adverse affect on your email channel health or to an extent business operations if anything happens to the reputation of your single sending domain, if that makes sense.

It doesn’t matter whatever comes before @ as long as sending domain is same. Reputation will be calculated on the health of your sending domain and not from address. You can multiple email addresses on one sending domain.

So, in short, it’s very important to look deeper while setting up the technical foundation of your email channel for better deliverability and reputation and once it’s done, how can you start building the reputation with mailbox providers like Gmail, with strategic warmup and ramp up.

So, to approach this, you should have individual Klaviyo accounts for each store to keep things simple for you. For e.g: On Klaviyo, you can follow something like this:

Store A:

• Root domain (Visible FROM domain): marketing.mystore1.com
  • Sending domain (Return-Path/Envelop domain): send.marketing.mystore1.com
  • DKIM signing header domain: marketing.mystore1.com
  • DMARC: marketing.mystore1.com / mystore1.com with a none, or quarantine, or reject policy, depending on business use case. Reject policy should be the ultimate goal for safeguarding your reputation and domain from spoofing & impersonation.

The above is an ideal setup for a better foundation but it depends on ESP and your DNS capabilities to manage alignment and configuration. You should either work with a deliverability consultant or expert to navigate you through all of this or can reach out to support to guide further on configuring your sending domain.

Hope this makes sense.

And, Yes! @inboxingmaestro focus deeply on deliverability and scaling email performance & ROI.

Happy to hop on a call to talk further if you’re interested.

Regards,

Mohsin

Hi @inboxingmaestro - 

What if I already have a Klaviyo account that sends from info@company.com, and I want to create a new account that handles more personal, non-promotional messages. Do you advise to use the same reply-to email address or a different one under the same domain? Will creating a new account under the same domain affect deliverability?

Thank you very much for your help.