Solved

Automatically Suppress Profile

• 26 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hi all, 

We have an issue where we have a very large contact list, however, are only actively emailing a small portion of them. Is there a way, within the Klaviyo UI and not through API, to automatically suppress profiles that have been inactive for 30+ days, so we don’t get billed for them?

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Bobi N. 26 December 2022, 06:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@MasonK 

As much as I know there is no automatic way to suppress profiles if they are inactive.

My suggestion would be to do this manually once a month. Create a segment of people you want to remove, download the segment and then go to Profiles then go Suppressed Profiles in the top right corner, and again top right corner you have an option to suppress people by uploading a file. This is where you can upload the people from the segment you previously created and downloaded.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @MasonK I’ve recently written an article on how to automate this process through Klaviyo webhooks. Hope it helps. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/klaviyo-webhook-insanely-useful-automatically-list-save-stuckings/

Userlevel 7
Badge +43

Great article @matthewstuckings I was actually also using some of this functionality. Might be writing more about this soon. A lot of amazing things you could do with this. Thanks for sharing

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Yes, Klaviyo provides a feature called "List Cleaning" that allows you to automatically suppress inactive contacts from your lists.

To enable this feature, you can follow these steps:

1. Go to your Klaviyo account and click on the "Lists & Segments" tab.
  2. Select the list that you want to clean.
  3. Click on the "Manage List" dropdown and select "List Settings".
  4. Under the "List Cleaning" section, toggle the switch to enable list cleaning.
  5. Set the duration for how long a contact can be inactive before they are suppressed.
  6. Choose whether you want to suppress the contact from all lists or just the current list.
  7. Click on "Save" to enable list cleaning for the selected list.

Once list cleaning is enabled, Klaviyo will automatically suppress contacts that have been inactive for the specified duration. This will ensure that you are only paying for active contacts and not for inactive ones.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions will be glad to be of assistance 

Userlevel 7
Badge +43

@Lanresdev I've not yet seen this feature, is this in testing phases currently? Mind sharing a screenshot of what you mean? I've checked a dozen accounts and was not able to see/find this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Omar,

I don’t think you’re missing anything. As far as I’m aware, Klaviyo currently does not offer an automated list cleaning functionality. 

List cleaning is a manual process since it’s related to managing the consent status of your own profiles/contacts. 

@Lanresdev, could you be confusing Klaviyo with a different platform or potentially the global unsubscribe function?

David

Hi there,

Is it not possible to create a flow within Klaviyo, where as long as someone is inside you’re unengaged segment their profile property is updated with Suppress TRUE? 

Does that not clean your list automatically on a consistent basis?

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@ShaunaH 

Not really.. they will get a property but the property doesn’t mean automatic suppression.. So you will have to create segment of people who have that property and then manually suppress them

Badge +1

Hi @MasonK I’ve recently written an article on how to automate this process through Klaviyo webhooks. Hope it helps. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/klaviyo-webhook-insanely-useful-automatically-list-save-stuckings/

Thank you for a fantastic write-up! I was able to get it working with some help from the API documentation, as the JSON payload has changed the format. 

Just understanding how this works opens up a world of other possibilities.

steve k.