Skip to main content
Solved

Email suppressed but not unsubscribed

• 31 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi! I’ve noticed new profiles who have subscribed are showing their emails as suppressed. I cannot find any activity that indicates that they unsubscribed (and their email didn’t bounce), so why are they suppressed?  Below is an example of the suppression and the profile activity:

How does a user suppress the email without unsubscribing? Could there be anything I’ve structured in my signup forms or emails that would be causing this?

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey @Nanette

This sounds like it can be very frustrating.

From what I understand, suppression can happen for several reasons other than explicit unsubscription by the user. For instance, Klaviyo automatically suppresses email addresses that have soft bounced multiple times (usually seven) or hard bounced once. This helps maintain your email deliverability and sender reputation by ensuring that you're only sending emails to valid and engaged addresses​​.

Additionally, users can be suppressed if they were manually added to a suppression list. This can occur if there were issues with consent or if their email address was imported into Klaviyo with a status that does not permit sending marketing emails​. There was a question about SMS on the Klaviyo community forum about SMS regarding suppression here.

Here are a few things you might want to check:

1. Consent Collection: Make sure that your signup forms are clearly asking for explicit consent to receive marketing emails. Profiles without proper consent might be automatically suppressed​. There is a guide about this on the Klaviyo Dev Docs​.

2. Email Bounce Handling: Verify if the emails of these new subscribers might be bouncing. Sometimes, even if it doesn't appear as a bounce initially, multiple soft bounces can lead to suppression​​.

3. Manual Suppression Lists: Check if there's any automation or manual process that might be adding these emails to a suppression list. It could be a setting in your import process or an inadvertent action within your workflows​ (Understanding unsubscribes in Klaviyo)​.

Lastly, review your sign-up processes and suppression rules within Klaviyo to ensure there’s nothing unintentionally triggering these suppressions. Regularly cleaning your list and maintaining up-to-date consent practices will help avoid these issues in the future.

​​​​​​​I hope this helps :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Jumping in to clarify that a user suppression means someone in the Klaviyo account manually suppressed the profile, not the subscriber!

Badge +2

Jumping in to clarify that a user suppression means someone in the Klaviyo account manually suppressed the profile, not the subscriber!

That would make more sense because the other suggestions don’t fit this scenario. BUT, I’m the only user of the system and I didn’t suppress the profile!!  So what could cause that from the admin side?