Solved

How can I remove the fine, white lines between graphic blocks in my template?

• 20 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello All,

I design my emails as a series of continuous images, and sometimes fine lines appear between the image blocks. I found another post discussing the lines, but no fix.

I have noticed that the lines will appear/ disappear depending on the size I’m viewing the emails and from desktop to mobile.

I have the padding set to 0. I tried to add a background color to the text blocks/ color behind the images, but that doesn’t fix the issue. I tried jpg and png images in a host of sizes to see if that would make an impact.

Has anyone found a fix to this issue?

Thanks!

Ariel

Fine line appearing between image blocks

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 26 May 2023, 17:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @Ariel_EvryCreative

Thank you for asking your question! Great troubleshooting so far! 

Do you mind confirming a couple things to help us identify this issue? For instance, can you confirm what inbox provider you’re using when you see this error? Additionally, can you confirm that to make these continuous images, you’re using split images within the email template?

If so, then this could be the reason why you’re seeing this fine lines between the different images. These lines display as a result between the images due to how different inboxes support (or do not support) outline elements. Due to this behavior, sometimes the email client will add these gaps. 

In order to fix this as much as possible, I’d recommend including all the image blocks within a single section and then apply a content background color to the section. This way, any gaps between the images will be filled in with the appropriate background color. The key thing to note here is that the background color needs to be on the section content color to work. If you apply it on the block level, it will still show the gap.

Thanks for partipcating int the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for your reply! I am using the Apple mail client on iPhone and my laptop. I did see in the forum that lines also show up in Outlook.

Unfortunately, the reason I cut up the images is because they all link to different urls. I don’t see a way of tagging different parts of the same image with different links (if you know of a way, let me know!).

I can potentially try adding different sections and coloring the background- thanks for that idea. I do like the look of the email content as a container with a different background color though. To retain that look, maybe I can try a background image with the sides colored as a gray background and the center colored to match the content blocks. I feel like this might be a little trick to line-up, as I’m not sure how much resizing happens with background images as windows are resized. Any thoughts on this? I might give it a try and see how it looks.

Thanks!

Ariel

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Ariel_EvryCreative

Thanks for that follow up! 

Yes, unfortunately, styling with Outlook is tricky and might not always render exactly how you want. These styling issues are a common occurrence for Outlook as it doesn't do well with HTML. There is a Litmus article that is pretty helpful for sorting our rendering issues. I would also recommend to using Litmus to preview how your emails will render in Outlook and other email clients. If you’re curious, you can determine how many of your viewers for a given campaign opened the email on Outlook. Please navigate to an already sent campaign and select the Advanced tab from the campaign analytics menu. Here, you can view ‘Performance by Email Client’ to see how many opens were tracked within Outlook. 

However, although they all link to different URLs you should be still able to have these different image blocks in one section of the editor to mitigate the issue, which would be your best best instead of creating more sections. 

-Taylor