Solved

how to stop Unique Discount Code for Shopify generated in klaviyo being used with other coupon codes or discounts

• 28 October 2022
  • 6 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I have an email template which sends a unique discount to some customers who give us a review. The problem is the discount code generated by klaviyo can be used with other discount coupons. I have tried to go into the discount code set up in shopify but it has ticked that it can’t be used with other discounts but I have tired using it and it can be, any advice?

icon

Best answer by David To 3 November 2022, 20:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @smcd,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

That’s an odd behavior! I know by default, coupon codes cannot be combined through Shopify. What’s more, the ability to combine discount codes is actually in beta for Shopify as they’ve explained in their own Combining Discount Help Center document.

Do you happen to be using a custom checkout portal as opposed to the default Shopify one? When creating discount codes in Klaviyo, we leverage Shopify’s own coupon API which is how the coupon codes are recognized. However, if you are using a custom checkout portal as opposed to the standard checkout method provided by Shopify, I would suspect they may have their own method of handling coupon codes which may cause this combination behavior. 

An example of this would be if you generated a coupon in Klaviyo/Shopify and another coupon through your custom checkout portal. If your custom or third-party checkout portal doesn’t have a limitation on its coupon acceptance, it may accept both coupons since they’re from different sources. 

In a case like this I would recommend reaching out and speaking with your developer to investigate further or review your own tech stack to see if anything could cause this behavior. 

I hope this helps!

David

Hi David,

Thank you so much for reaching out. So it’s not a custom checkout just a default Shopify checkout. It does not allow another discount code to be used but it can be used on items which are on sale on the website. So we are discounting particular ranges each week from now to Christmas, this week for example we took 15% off large furniture and if someone wished they could get another 10% off with their unique discount code generated by klaviyo. I had hoped it would not be able to be used on discounted items so it there a way to stop this from happening. I know if people had to use a discount code on the weekly offer, then that would be a way around it as two discount codes cannot be used in conjunction, but we find it beneficial that the customer can see on the product page how much the item is reduced by rather than having to wait to enter a code at checkout for this to be seen. Kindest regards, Seline.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @smcd,

Got it! So that makes a lot more sense since it’s the products that are on sale and not a separate coupon/discount code being applied. 

This sort of behavior is typical. To prevent coupons from being applied to already discounted products, you’ll want to specify otherwise as part of the coupon’s Applies to setting. This setting allows you designate whether the coupon can be applied to the entire order, specific products, or specific product collections/categories. 

For example, if there were a subset of products you would not want the coupon to be applied to - such as already discounted products - you can either designate those specific products or group a set of products in a collection/category to be excluded. 

If you haven’t already had a chance to, I would suggest taking a look at some of the resources we off on the topic of coupons to learn more about how to create and use them in your marketing strategies:

David

Aww I see so it would be a matter of removing them for multiple collections and keeping them say only in sale collection and exclude sale collection? If they are still under other collections it would mean the discount could still be used against them is that right? So say a lamp starts under table lamp collection but went on sale and was added to sale collection if you had the coupon codes set up to apply to every collection excluding sale collection then it could still be used unless it was removed from the original table lamp collection? I hope this is making sense, it does in my head :) Seline 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @smcd,

It would really depend on how you’ve setup your collection/catalog and the coupon. However, if i’m understanding you correctly, then yes, you would be correct! If a lamp if a lamp was in both the sale collection and the table lamp collection, so long as you have the discount set to apply to all collections excluding the sale collection, it would still qualify for the discount since it’s still being identified as being in the lamp collection. 

David

Badge +2

@David To 

Tried applying discount code specifically to 300+ products but received “entitled_product_ids exceeded max number” Can you tell me if you know the maximum?